Chemung is a town in Chemung County, New York, United States. The population was 2,563 at the 2010 census. The town name is derived from the Chemung River, which means "Big Horn" in the native language.
The first clear record of settlement dates to about 1786.
The town of Chemung was established in 1788 as the original town in the region. Chemung lost territory when Tioga County was formed in 1791. The town of Newtown (now the town of Elmira) was taken from Chemung in 1792. Chemung was incorporated in 1798 into Montgomery County, at the time of that county's formation. (Chemung County was not created until 1836.) Subsequently, the town of Chemung lost more territory to form all or parts of Erin (1822), Baldwin (1856), and Ashland (1867).