Charlton Marshall is a village and civil parish in the English county of Dorset. It lies within the North Dorset administrative district, on the A350 road south of the market town of Blandford Forum. It is sited on a river terrace above the floodplain of the River Stour, with most of the land in the parish stretching south-west over chalk hills. In the 2011 Census the number of dwellings recorded within the parish was 513 and the population was 1,156.
Within the parish boundary is evidence of the sites of Anglo-Saxon burial mounds, and human habitation in the parish can be dated back at least a thousand years. Next to the river were three earlier settlements, which influenced the elongated layout of the current village. The parish church was rebuilt in 1713 and restored in 1895, although the tower dates from the 15th century. Charlton Marshall Halt railway station was once a halt on the Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway.
Within the last half century Charlton Marshall has grown considerably, and there are now more than five times as many homes in the village as there were in the middle of the 19th century.
A sketchmap of the rural district can be viewed at Blandford Rural District.
Dorset Research Tips
One of the many maps available on the website A Vision of Britain through Time is one from the Ordnance Survey Series of 1900 illustrating the parish boundaries of Dorset at the turn of the 20th century. This map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. The internal boundaries on this map are the rural districts which are indicated in the "See Also" box for the place concerned (unless it is an urban parish).
The following websites have pages explaining their provisions in WeRelate's Repository Section. Some provide free online databases. Some are linked to Ancestry.