Cathedral City is a city in Riverside County, California, United States. Locals gave it the nickname "Cat City". The population was 51,200 at the 2010 census. Located between Palm Springs and Rancho Mirage, it is one of the cities in the Coachella Valley (Palm Springs area) of southern California. Cathedral City is the second largest in population in the Coachella Valley, after Indio.
The town's name derives from "Cathedral Canyon" to the south of the town, so named in 1850 by Colonel Henry Washington because its rock formations were reminiscent of a cathedral. The city itself started as a housing subdivision in 1925, but was not incorporated until 1981. The city grew in population several times over during the next two decades.