Place:Cantley, West Riding of Yorkshire, England

Watchers
NameCantley
Alt namesBrantonsource: hamlet in parish
Gatewoodsource: hamlet in parish
High Ellerssource: hamlet in parish
Low Ellerssource: hamlet in parish
Catebisource: Domesday Book (1985) p 314
TypeVillage, Civil parish
Coordinates53.502°N 1.051°W
Located inWest Riding of Yorkshire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inSouth Yorkshire, England     (1974 - )
Yorkshire, England    
See alsoStrafforth and Tickhill Wapentake, West Riding of Yorkshire, Englandwapentake in which it was located
Doncaster Rural, West Riding of Yorkshire, Englandrural district of which it was a part until 1974
Doncaster (metropolitan borough), South Yorkshire, Englandmetropolitan borough of which it has been a part since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Cantley from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"CANTLEY, a parish in Doncaster [registration] district, [West Riding of] Yorkshire; near the river Idle, 3 miles N by W of Rossington [railway] station, and 3½ ESE of Doncaster. It includes the hamlets of Bessacarr, Branton, Gatewood, and High and Low Ellers; and has a post office under Doncaster. Acres: 5,160. Real property: £5,373. Population: 663. Houses: 127. The property is divided between two. Cantley House is the seat of J. W. Childers, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value: £233. Patron: J. W. Childers, Esq. The church is good: and there is a national school."

Cantley is a village and civil parish which, since 1974, has been located in the Doncaster Metropolitan Borough of South Yorkshire, England. The parish is adjacent to the village of Bessacarr, separated by Bawtry Road. It has a population of 2,817 as measure in the census of 2011. Most of Cantley was built after the Second World War. It lost much of its area to Doncaster in annexations of 1936 and 1951.

Cantley was originally an ancient parish in Strafforth and Tickhill Wapentake in the West Riding of Yorkshire. In 1866 the status of civil parish was introduced and this was taken on by most ancient parishes and also by their subsidiary townships if they were of any size at all. Bessacarr, one of the hamlets mentioned by Wilson in his Gazetteer quoted above, expanded after 1870 and was made a separate civil parish on the Doncaster side of Cantley.

From 1894 until 1974, Cantley was located in Doncaster Rural District.

Image:Doncaster2.png

Research Tips

  • Doncaster Archives includes archives for the whole of the area now in Doncaster Metropolitan Borough
Address: King Edward Road, Balby, Doncaster, DN4 0NA
Telephone: +44(0)1302 859811
Email: doncaster.archives@doncaster.gov.uk
  • British History Online (Victoria County Histories) do not cover the West Riding of Yorkshire
  • GENUKI has a page on all three ridings of Yorkshire and pages for each of the ecclesiastical parishes in the county. Under each parish there is a list of the settlements within it and brief description of each. The list is based on a gazetteer dated 1835 and there may have been a number of alterations to the parish setup since then. However, it is worthwhile information for the pre civil registration era. GENUKI provides references to other organizations who hold genealogical information for the local area. There is no guarantee that the website has been kept up to date and the submitter is very firm about his copyright. This should not stop anyone from reading the material.
  • The FamilyTree Wiki has a series of pages similar to those provided by GENUKI which may have been prepared at a later date from more recent data. The wiki has a link to English Jurisdictions 1851 which gives the registration district and wapentake for each parish, together with statistics from the 1851 census for the area.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time, Yorkshire West Riding, section "Units and Statistics" leads to analyses of population and organization of the county from about 1800 through 1974. There are pages available for all civil parishes, municipal boroughs and other administrative divisions. Descriptions provided are usually based on a gazetteer of 1870-72.
  • Map of the West Riding divisions in 1888 produced by UK Ordnance Survey and provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time
  • Map of West Riding divisions in 1917 produced by UK Ordnance Survey and provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time. In other counties, the map for 1900 has been used, but it is not coming up in Vision of Britain's list.
  • Map of West Riding divisions in 1944 produced by UK Ordnance Survey and provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time
  • The above three maps indicate the boundaries between parishes, etc., but for a more detailed view of a specific area try a map from this selection. The oldest series are very clear at the third magnification offered. Comparing the map details with the GENUKI details for the same area is well worthwhile.
  • Yorkshire has a large number of family history and genealogical societies. A list of the societies will be found on the Yorkshire, England page.


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Cantley, South Yorkshire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.