|Name||Caister next Yarmouth|
|Alt names||Caister-on-Sea||source: GENUKI, Wikipedia|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Norfolk, England ( - 1926)|
|See also||East Flegg Hundred, Norfolk, England||hundred in which it was located|
|East and West Flegg Rural, Norfolk, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1926|
|East Caister, Norfolk, England||civil parish formed from Caister next Yarmouth in 1926|
|West Caister, Norfolk, England||civil parish formed from Caister next Yarmouth in 1926|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
GENUKI states "This is the Caister near Great Yarmouth. There is also Caistor St Edmund (or Caistor-next-Norwich). The spellings are different, but it is quite common for them to be used interchangeably. References to Caister may also occur in texts about Gt Yarmouth."
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Caister next Yarmouth from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72 (note the spelling from the 19th century gazetteer):
- "CAISTOR-NEXT-YARMOUTH, a village and a parish in Flegg [registration] district, Norfolk. The village stands on the coast, near the river Bure, 2½ miles N of Yarmouth; is supposed, by some antiquaries, to occupy the site of the Roman Garianonum; has a post office, of the name of Caistor, under Yarmouth; and is a coastguard station. The parish comprises 2,832 acres of land and 215 of water. Real property: £7,290. Population: 1,203. Houses: 298. The property is much subdivided. A strong moated castle was built, about a mile from the village, in the 15th century, by Sir John Fastolf, a native, the capturer of John II of France, sometimes mistaken for the Falstaff of Shakspeare; and a lofty round tower and part of the north and west walls are still standing. An ancient free chapel stood on the manor as early as the time of Edward I.; and was erected into a college for seven monks or priests, either by Sir John Fastolf or by one of his successors; and some remains of it exist near the castle ruins. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £942. Patron, the Rev. G. W. Steward. The church is decorated and later English, and has a lofty square tower. There was formerly another church, with parochial jurisdiction, called St. Edmunds; but only a part of the tower remains. There are a chapel of ease, three Methodist chapels, a reading room, a national school, and charities £97."
In 1926 the civil parish of Caister next Yarmouth was abolished and replaced by two civil parishes named East Caister and West Caister.
- GENUKI provides a list of references for Caister next Yarmouth or Caister-on-Sea. Some entries lead to free online transcriptions of registers and censuses.
- GENUKI also advises that the following lists for Norfolk are to be found in FamilySearch:
- England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1510-1997
- England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812
- England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941
- England, Norfolk Marriage Bonds, 1557-1915
- England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901
Categories: Norfolk, England | Caister next Yarmouth, Norfolk, England | East Flegg Hundred, Norfolk, England | East and West Flegg Rural, Norfolk, England | East Caister, Norfolk, England | West Caister, Norfolk, England