There are earthworks which are the remains of the medieval village. There were two manors at Gate Burton at the time of the Domesday Book which were held in 1086 by Count Alan of Brittany. By the 13th century Gate Burton was held by the Trehampton family along with their manor of Lea, and both Lea and Gate Burton belonged to Lord Burgh of Gainsborough in the 16th century. It was sold around 1739 to the Hutton family, and William Hutton's house of 1774-80 forms the core of the present Gate Burton Hall.
The present Saint Helen's Church is at least the third church on the site. In 1741 the chancel of the first St Helen's church was in ruins and in 1784 a petition was put forward to demolish and rebuild the whole church. The replacement was built at the Hutton family's expense prior to 1793. It was replaced again by the existing Grade II listed limestone building of 1866.
Gate Burton Hall was built around 1770-84, for the Hutton family, with later additions and alterations. It is now two residences, and is Grade II* listed. The temple folly known as Burton Chateau in the grounds of Gate Burton Hall was built in 1747 by James Paine of red brick and limestone, and is also Grade II* listed.
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.