Originally Burton was a township in Burton ancient parish in the Wirral hundred. The township became a civil parish in 1866 within the Wirral Rural Sanitary District. In 1894 the rural sanitary district was replaced by the Wirral Rural District which covered the rural part of the entire Wirral Peninsula. In 1933 the name of the neighbouring urban district of Neston-cum-Parkgate was changed to Neston Urban District and took on three additional civil parishes including Burton. In the nationwide reorganization of municipalities of 1974, Neston Urban District joined with Ellesmere Port Urban District to form a district municipality named the Borough of Ellesmere Port and Neston which existed until 2009 when it was replaced by the larger Cheshire West and Chester unitary authority. Since 1974 Burton has been an unparished area.
The population was 288 in 1801, 291 in 1851, 222 in 1901, and 667 in 1951. In the 2001 census the Burton and Ness Ward of the Borough of Ellesmere Port and Neston had a population of 1,620.