Broughton is a historic village in North Buckinghamshire that has been a constituent element of Milton Keynes since the latter's designation in 1967; a civil parish; and modernly a suburb and new district of the 'city'.
The name is Old English and meant village by the brook. In the Domesday Book, it is listed as owned by a Walter Giffard and the tenant was a Hugh de Bolbec. In the 6th century, its name was spelt Brotone, which is still its customary pronunciation. The original Northampton to London turnpike came through the village (to join Watling Street [now the A5 road] near Woburn). The current main route, the M1 motorway, is very near and Junction 14 is barely half a mile away.
The Milton Keynes grid road, Portway (H5), forms the district's northern boundary and Tongwell Street (V11) provides its western. The section of the old turnpike, once the A50, is now part of the A5130. The original route through centre of the old village, named 'London Road', was bypassed in the early 1970s, the newer route runs between it and the another MK district, Brook Furlong, and provides the eastern boundary. Finally, Chaffron Way (H7), provides the southern boundary: in mid-2009 this was extended to meet the A5130 and was opened to traffic in March 2010.
The district can be split into at least three areas. The original Broughton village forms part of a conservation area at the northern end, bounded by the brook and the A5130. Broughton Atterbury is an area of new build housing, predominantly between the Eastern side of the brook and the V11 grid road: this area has recently been completed and is awaiting final road surfacing. Broughton Gate is a new area, part of the Milton Keynes Eastern Expansion area and covers the area to the west of the brook. The iconic cable-stayed bridge is one of two main road crossing across Broughton Brook, the third and newest is the newly completed H7 extension between Broughton and the neighbouring district of Kingston.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Broughton, Milton Keynes.
Birth, marriage and death certificates can now be ordered online from Buckinghamshire County Council. The full postal address is Buckinghamshire Register Office, County Hall, Walton Street, Aylesbury, HP20 1YU.
The Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies (County Hall, Walton Street, Aylesbury, HP20 1UU) holds
In Buckinghamshire, as with other counties in England and Wales, the location of offices where Births, Marriages and Deaths were registered has altered with other changes in local government. A list of the location of Registration Offices since civil registration began in 1837 has been prepared by GENUKI (Genealogy: United Kingdom and Ireland). The table also gives details of when each Registration Office was in existence. In the case of Buckinghamshire, the same registration offices were used for the censuses since 1851.
Nineteenth Century Local Administration
English Jurisdictions is a webpage provided by FamilySearch which analyses every ecclesiastical parish in England at the year 1851. It provides, with the aid of outline maps, the date at which parish records and bishops transcripts begin, non-conformist denominations with a chapel within the parish, the names of the jurisdictions in charge: county, civil registration district, probate court, diocese, rural deanery, poor law union, hundred, church province; and links to FamilySearch historical records, FamilySearch Catalog and the FamilySearch Wiki. Two limitations: only England, and at the year 1851.
During the 19th century two bodies, the Poor Law Union and the Sanitary District, had responsibility for governmental functions at a level immediately above that covered by the civil parish. In 1894 these were replace by Rural and Urban Districts. These were elected bodies, responsible for setting local property assessments and taxes as well as for carrying out their specified duties. Thses districts continued in operation until 1974. Urban districts for larger municipalities were called "Municipal Boroughs" and had additional powers and obligations.
Poor Law Unions, established nationally in 1834, combined parishes together for the purpose of providing relief for the needy who had no family support. This led to the building of '"union poorhouses" or "workhouses" funded by all the parishes in the union. The geographical boundaries established for the individual Poor Law Unions were employed again when Registration Districts were formed three years later. In 1875 Sanitary Districts were formed to provide services such as clean water supply, sewage systems, street cleaning, and the clearance of slum housing. These also tended to follow the same geographical boundaries, although there were local alterations caused by changes in population distribution.
Online Historical References