A small hamlet, recorded in Domesday as "Brochola" or "Broclega": the name originates from 'woodland clearing by a brook'.
Mill Road marks the location of a former post mill which was demolished in 1930.
East of B1066 is Willow Tree Farm (now Britton's Farm) (farthest out) with a small chapel (halfway to B1066).
West of B1066 is Mile Farm (now Long's Farm) with the Pumping Station farthest west.
Brockley Hall and St Andrew's church are still around 1 km north of the village.
There have been no public houses in the village since the 1980s, although prior to that there had been two: the Fox and Hounds and the The Six Bells.
A blacksmith used to be next door to the pub. A shop, and petrol station closed some years ago.
Brockley Cricket Club started over 50 years ago and supports three league teams playing in local leagues, a midweek team and a youth programme.
The village also supports an indoor bowls club that has enjoyed some success in the past.