|Alt names||Brandywine||source: USGS, GNIS Digital Gazetteer (1994) GNIS42002726|
|Located in||Chester, Pennsylvania, United States|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Brandywine Manor is an inhabited place.
Forks of Brandywine Presbyterian Church
1648 Horseshoe Pike.
Glen Moore PA, 19343
The Forks of the Brandywine Presbyterian Church was organized by and comprised of a majority of Scottish and Scotch-Irish settlers on September 26, 1735. It is believed that these settlers were, at one time, members of the Octorara Church. A little known fact is that the church's more popular name was, and in some cases still is, the Brandywine Manor Church. The first pastor to "The Forks" during this pioneer period was the Reverend Samuel Black. In 1761, the Reverend John Carmichael, a native of Scotland, was installed as pastor. Known as the "Revolutionary Pastor," Rev. Carmichael whole-heartedly supported the "revolution." He preached before Congress, was present at the Battle of Long Island, and urged enlistment into the army. Rev. Carmichael was a counselor of General George Washington. At one point he was forced, with his family, to flee from the church due to an impending British raid. John Carmichael lived to see the independence of his country acknowledged by the British government.