- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Boxwell with Leighterton is a civil parish which since 1974 has been located in the Cotswold District of Gloucestershire, England. According to the 2001 UK census it had a population of 232. The parish includes villages or hamlets of Boxwell and Leighterton.
The adjoining parishes are: Ozleworth to the north-west; Kingscote to the north; Westonbirt with Lasborough to the east; Didmarton to the south; and Hillesley and Tresham to the west. The last is in the Stroud District; the others are in the Cotswold district.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Boxwell with Leighterton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "BOXWELL-WITH-LEIGHTERTON, a parish in Tetbury [registration] district, Gloucester; on the Cotswolds, 4½ miles ESE of Wotton-under-Edge, and 6½ E of Charfield [railway] station. It has a post office, of the name of Leighterton, under Wotton-under-Edge. Acres: 2,266. Real property: £2,693. Population: 255. Houses: 56. The property is divided among a few. Boxwell Court is the seat of the Rev. R. W. Huntley. About 45 acres are covered with box-trees. An ancient nunnery stood at Boxwell; and is said to have been destroyed by the Danes. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £350. Patron: the Rev. R. W. Huntley. The church is ancient, and has a very ancient font. There is also a very ancient chapel at Leighterton."