Bolton Percy is a village and civil parish in the Selby district of North Yorkshire, England. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 305 in 115 households. The village is about four miles east of Tadcaster.
The village lies on the road between Appleton Roebuck and Tadcaster to the west of the main East Coast railway line and east of the Trans Pennine railway line. The soil is strong loam that rests on clay.
Since 1974 Bolton Percy is part of the Appleton Roebuck Ward of Selby District Council. Its own parish council covers the nearby villages of Colton and Steeton. Prior to the nationwide municipal re-organization of 1974, Bolton Percy was part of Tadcaster Rural District Council; and prior to 1894 it was one of the parishes in the Ainsty, the rural area to the west and south of the City of York.
Following the Norman Conquest, when William de Malet served as the county's first High Sheriff, the village of Bolton Percy was held by Malet himself. Later the lordship of the manor fell to the Percy family, as noted by Kirkby's Inquest of 1284. It was at this time that the name of Percy added to village name.
The lordship of the manor passed to the Vesci family, who resided in South Yorkshire near Roche Abbey. In 1290 John, Lord Vesci, contributed towards the marriage of King Edward I's eldest daughter, as was mandated by Lord Vesci's holding of knights fees on his manor of Bolton Percy. The lordship of Bolton Percy next passed to their relatives the Beaumonts on the death of the de Vesci heir. Later the lordship of Bolton Percy passed to the Fairfax family, who were associated with the village for several centuries and whose family memorials can be found in the village church.
The Old Rectory is a Grade II listed William and Mary house, dating from 1698. It was formerly the residence of the Archdeacon of York, and more recently the Bishop of Selby; it is now a private residence.
The village used to have a station on the Dearne Valley Line running from York to Sheffield via Pontefract Baghill and Moorthorpe. The station was closed in 1965.