Place:Binda, New South Wales, Australia

Watchers


NameBinda
TypeTown
Located inNew South Wales, Australia


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Binda is a village in the Southern Tablelands region of New South Wales, Australia in Upper Lachlan Shire. In 2006, Binda had a population of 131 people.

It is about 17 km north-north-west of Crookwell in the county of Georgiana. Other near-by towns or locations are:

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

The origin of the name is thought to be from the Gandangara Aboriginal word for deep water.

The site of Binda was explored in 1820 by James Meehan and John Oxley and the first pastoral runs were taken by Francis Oakes, Chief Constable of Parramatta, Rowland Hassall and Thomas Bray in 1825 and 1826. The town was a listed locality in the census of 1828.

The town was gazetted in 1850 with subdivision for sale in 1852 making it the oldest town in Crookwell Shire and the rich Pastoral leases and discovery of gold at Tuena, 33 kilometres to the north caused the town to grow quickly, with a School (1851), post office (1852), Court of Petty Sessions (1863), and Anglican church(1872) following soon. The town reach about a thousand persons in the 1870s.

Bush Rangers Whitton and Reynolds and latter Ben Hall robbed the town at this time.

In the 20th century came a Cricket club (1880), Memorial Hall (1920), Sisters of Mercy convent (1920), rugby league club (1922) Graziers Association (1923) and hockey club (1932).

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Binda, New South Wales. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.