Place:Bigbury, Devon, England

Watchers


NameBigbury
Alt namesBicheberiasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 77
Bicheberiesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 77
TypeInhabited place
Coordinates50.3°N 3.867°W
Located inDevon, England
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Bigbury is a village and civil parish in the South Hams district of Devon, England. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 582.

The parish council meets on the second Wednesday of every month at 7.30pm in Bigbury Memorial Hall (excluding August & January). The village of Bigbury has a pub called the Royal Oak, and a shop called the Bigbury Village Stores.

Bigbury's church (dedicated to St Lawrence) is partly early 14th century and partly as rebuilt by J. D. Sedding in 1872. Apart from the western tower topped by a spire very little is obviously medieval. The two monumental brasses are early 15th century. The baptismal font, sedilia and piscina are early 14th century, while the lectern and pulpit date from the following century. Both the lectern and pulpit were moved here from Ashburton church: the lectern is attributed to Thomas Prideaux and thought to be a donation of the Bishop of Exeter ca. 1510-15.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Bigbury. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.