Berkley is a village and civil parish in the Mendip district of Somerset, England. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 361. The village is north-east of Frome.
1822 - Somersetshire delineated by Christopher & John Greenwood
A parish in the hundred of Frome, 2½ miles N.E. from Frome, containing 94 inhabited houses, and 109 families, 6O of whom are employed in agriculture. This parish is situated on the borders of Wiltshire, and extends to the river Frome westward. The lands are mostly pasture, and the soil various. The Rev. J. M. Rogers resides at Berkley-house; and about a mile and a half north is Standermck-court, the residence of H. F. E. Edgell, Esq. The church is a neat modern building, dedicated to St. Mary, built in 1751. Its dimensions are forty-one feet square; over the centre is an octagonal dome, supported by four Ionic columns, and terminated by a skylight; and at the westward is a neat tower, with ballustrade railing. The living is a rectory, in the deanery of Frome; the Rev. J. M. Rogers is both patron and incumbent. Population, 1801, 598 — 1811, 577 — 1821, 550, exclusive of Standerwick.
In the census of 1811, Berkley and Standerwick. made a joint return, but they have lately been separated, in consequence of a new county-rate arrangement; therefore, in addition to the above return, in 1821, Standerwick. contains 14 houses, 15 families, and 86 inhabitants, making the total population of Berkley, 636.
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
A parish in the hundred of Frome, in the county of Somerset, 3 miles to the E. of Frome, its post town. It is situated on the edge of Wiltshire, near the Wilts, Somerset, and Weymouth section of the Great Western railway. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells, of the value of £410, in the patronage of Sir C. Mordaunt, Bart. The church, which was erected in 1751, is dedicated to St. Mary. Alexander Barclay, author of "The Ship of Fools," was a native of this village. He died in 1552. Berkeley House is the principal residence.
1929 - Somerset by George Woosung Wade & Joseph Henry Wade
Berkley, a small village, 2½ m. N.E. from Frome. It possesses a "classical" church—a very unusual thing for a country village—date 1751. It is an odd little building, with a balustraded W. tower and a small central dome, said to have been copied from St Stephen's, Walbrook. Within is a monumental slab tracing the descent of the Newboroughs, from the time of the Conquest till 1680. Berkley House dates from the time of William III.