NOTE: There is also a place named Brasted near Sevenoaks in Kent.
Bearsted is a village and civil parish with railway station in mid-Kent, two miles (3.2 km) east of Maidstone town centre.
The village was historically concentrated around Church Lane and The Green which includes The Street. The village is on the north bank of the river Len, a tributary of the River Medway at the foot of the North Downs. A stream, the Lilk, flows south into the river Len through Bearsted.
Although part of the growing conurbation of Maidstone, the centre of Bearsted retains a traditional village look with 59 listed properties, many surrounding the village green. The parish of Bearsted has a population of 8010 (2001 figure).
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Bearsted from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72: