Place:Aylesbeare, Devon, England

Watchers


NameAylesbeare
Alt namesAilesbergasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 76
Eilesbergesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 76
TypeInhabited place
Coordinates50.717°N 3.367°W
Located inDevon, England
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Aylesbeare is a village and civil parish in the East Devon district of Devon, England, eight miles (13 km) east of Exeter. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 527. Known for the Site of Special Scientific Interest on Aylesbeare Common [1] that is managed by the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds, Aylesbeare was in the news during 1978 as the scene of the disappearance of Genette Tate.

Aylesbeare is on the northern side of the East Devon Pebbled Heathlands. Locally known as Woodbury Common, the heathlands are made up of 8 parish commons, including Aylesbeare Common.

From the highest point of the parish (512 feet, 159m) on the Common, the land gradually falls away to the northwest reaching its lowest point of 98 feet (30m) near Exeter International Airport. With an area of 2948 acres (1193 hectares), Aylesbeare is slightly below the average for a Devon parish. The village gives its name to a sequence of mudstone and sandstone rocks of Triassic age, the Aylesbeare Mudstone Group which occurs from the east Devon coast northwards into Somerset.

Although the population is widely distributed around the parish, it clusters in Aylesbeare Village itself, the hamlets of Rosamundford and Withen, and small groups of houses on the site of former farm buildings.

Aylesbeare has a long, but lightly recorded, history. Tumuli on Aylesbeare Common indicate that the area was inhabited in prehistoric times. By the time of the Domesday Book, the village was known as Ailesbergon though, in common with many place names, it had many spellings over the years, including Aillesbir and Ailesberga.

The oldest building in the parish is the church, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary. It dates to the 13th century. Gregory was the first recorded incumbent, in 1261. The church has been rebuilt and restored many times – in the 14th century, a major refurbishment in 1899 and a new roof in 2004. Substantially younger, the village pub is 400 years old.

Originally a farming parish, Aylesbeare still has two working farms within the village itself with many others spread throughout the parish. However, agriculture is no longer the main source of employment, with many people working in Exeter and surrounding towns.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Aylesbeare. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.