Place:Aston Subedge, Gloucestershire, England

Watchers


NameAston Subedge
Alt namesAston-Sub-Edgesource: Family History Library Catalog
Estunesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 111
TypeInhabited place
Coordinates52.067°N 1.8°W
Located inGloucestershire, England
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Aston Subedge (also written Aston-sub-Edge) is a village and civil parish in the Cotswold district of Gloucestershire, England, close by the border with Worcestershire (to the west). According to the 2001 census the population was 55. The village is about 8 miles east of Evesham, and near the village of Weston-sub-Edge.

The church of St Andrew was built in 1797 by Thomas Johnson of Warwick.

Dover's Hill is about one mile south. John Aubrey mentions that there was a turf maze here. A monument of 1934 commemorates Robert Dover, founder of the "Cotswold Olimpick Games", precursor of the modern Olympic Games.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Aston Subedge. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.