ASTON INGHAM, Herefordshire Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"ASTON INGHAM, a parish, township, and village, in the hundred of Greytree, in the county of Hereford, 5 miles E. from Ross, 13 from Gloucester, and 2 from Mitcheldean-road station, on the Hereford, Ross, and Gloucester railway. Newent is its post town. It is situated on the borders of Gloucestershire, on elevated ground, forming the outskirts of the Forest of Dean. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Hereford, value £350, in the patronage of the Rev. H. L. Whatley, incumbent. The church is an old stone building, coloured white, without much pretension to architectural display. There is a National free school, with an endowment of £10 per annum. May Hill, known as the mariner's landmark, is in this parish. It has a singular appearance when viewed from the Irish Sea, or the Bristol Channel, with its clump of fir-trees at the summit."