The village is on the side of a hill bordering Loch Fyne immediately to the south of Lochgilphead. It has a pier, a lighthouse, a couple of public houses, antiques shops and hotels. Scottish Canals has an office by the canal basin. Ardrishaig harbour's first pier was built in 1873. To its north side is the Crinan Canal sea lock and to the south are pontoons and anchorage for boats. About 30,000 tonnes of timber pass through the harbour annually but it has the capacity for 150,000 tonnes.
In the 1970s, the village was significantly altered when a row of old houses and shops on the lochside of the main street was demolished to make way for a car park. Most trading now takes place in the neighbouring town Lochgilphead.