The term Ardgour, together with Kingairloch, is applied to a large area of countryside around the village, from the Glensanda Superquarry, Kingairloch and Kilmalieu in the south and west (bordering Morvern and Sunart districts), up to Conaglen, Treslaig, Camasnagaul, Achaphubuil and Blaich in the north (bordering Glenfinnan).
The area is served by the A861 road. The easiest access from the south is via a short ferry crossing from Corran; the alternative is a 40 mile trip around Loch Linnhe and Loch Eil. The ferries run every half hour until about 9 pm and cost £7.00 per vehicle for a single ticket. Foot passengers and bicycles are carried free of charge.
Ardgour has formed part of the territory of the Clan MacLean ever since the MacMasters were removed from the territory in the 15th Century. The current Laird of Ardgour, Robin Maclean, is a MacLean by adoption. He is the nephew of the last hereditary Maclean of Ardgour - a Lady Laird - having changed his name by legal action.
Ardgour also refers to the parish for this area, which was created in 1895, splitting up the extra-large Kilmallie parish, which had straddled Inverness-shire and Argyllshire.