Aramac is a small town in Central West Queensland, Australia, lying north of Barcaldine, and by road from the state capital, Brisbane. It is situated on Aramac Creek, which flows into the Thomson River west of town. At the 2006 census, Aramac had a population of 341.
The predominant industry is grazing. The town water for Aramac is supplied from two bores connecting into the Great Artesian Basin.
William Landsborough explored the area in 1859. In the 1850s, pastoralist and future Premier of Queensland Robert Ramsey Mackenzie travelled through the area. He blazed a tree with the inscription 'R R Mac', which was later corrupted into the name of the town.
The town was originally called Marathon. The name was changed to that of a surrounding station when a survey was conducted in 1875. In 1870, a new post office opened in town.
There was a massacre of 25 local Aborigines at the nearby Mailman's Gorge.
The town was initially a major outback town. However, the railway line ran through Barcaldine to the south, taking away the trade. The local council built a spur line (tramway) from Barcaldine, which opened on the 2 July 1913. The tramway operated until the 31 December 1975. A tramway museum that opened in 1994, occupies the old goods sheds.
The white bull (pictured) was stolen by Henry 'Harry' Redford, otherwise known as Captain Starlight who duffed cattle from a property called Bowen Downs. The herd of cattle was driven overland to South Australia where some of the thieves were caught and tried.
In 1867 an employee of Aramac Station, John William Kingston, opened a bark-hut store at an outlying point on the Aramac Creek. Enlarged two years later to include a hotel (Kingston's Bazaar), Kingston's settlement was declared a town site in 1869 and surveyed as a town in 1875. The town settlement by John William Kingston was the region's first town, and the centre of the first local-government division (see Aramac Shire). A post office was opened in 1874, a school in 1878 and a hospital in 1879.