Place:Appleton Wiske, Yorkshire, England

NameAppleton Wiske
Alt namesAppleton-upon-Wiskesource: Family History Library Catalog
Appleton-Wiskesource: Family History Library Catalog
Located inYorkshire, England
Also located inNorth Yorkshire, England    
source: Family History Library Catalog

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Appleton Wiske is a small village and civil parish that sits between Northallerton and Yarm in the Vale of York, a flat tract of land that runs between the North Yorkshire Moors to the east, the Yorkshire Dales to the west and the River Tees to the north.

The village, which was known as Apletona in the Domesday Book, eventually took the name of the nearby River Wiske to distinguish itself from other Appletons in the area, such as Appleton-le-Moors. The river does not actually run through the village itself, passing about half a mile to the south on its meandering journey to the larger River Swale.

Appleton Wiske in history

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Appleton Wiske - today just a tiny parish within the Hambleton District of North Yorkshire - is actually one of the 41 ancient parishes of the Wapentake of Langbaurgh in the Cleveland division of the North Riding of Yorkshire . It was also a part of the sessional division of Yarm.

The parish was gifted by William the Conqueror to Robert de Brus of Skelton, an ancestor of Robert the Bruce, the famous Scottish king. De Brus’s son gave it to St. Mary’s Abbey, York, along with Hornby and other lands. It remained in the possession of the St. Mary’s until the dissolution of monasteries, when it was granted by Henry VIII to Charles Brandon, who later became the Duke of Suffolk. The parish then passed though several hands and was finally split up in the early 19th century after the death of Robert Henry Allan, whose family had owned the parish since the early 18th century.

The village is thought to date back to Saxon times and, as already mentioned, is referred to in the Domesday Book as Apletona. The village church is not quite as old - the first reference to it is in 1299, when Edward I visited and heard Mass. Parish records indicate that it was being called The Chapel of St Mary Magdalen in Appleton by 1586. It is a small Norman structure, consisting of nave, chancel and porch.

In 2009 it was suggested that a planning application for nine wind turbines was due to be raised with Hambleton District Council. With each turbine planned to be 425 feet high and the nearest some 800 yards from the village some locals started an opposition group (North Hambleton Windfarm Action Group) to oppose the development.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Appleton Wiske. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.