Place:Ampleforth, North Riding of Yorkshire, England

Watchers
NameAmpleforth
TypeInhabited place
Coordinates54.2°N 1.1°W
Located inNorth Riding of Yorkshire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inYorkshire, England    
North Yorkshire, England     (1974 - )
See alsoHelmsley Rural, North Riding of Yorkshire, Englandrural district of which the parish was a part 1894-1974
Ryedale District, North Yorkshire, Englanddistrict municipality in which it has been situated since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Ampleforth is a village and civil parish in the Ryedale district of North Yorkshire, England, about north of York. The village is situated on the edge of the North York Moors National Park. The parish has a population of 883 according to the 2001 census and includes Ampleforth College.

Until immediately after the Second World War Ampleforth mainly consisted of houses built along the main road which serves as the principal thoroughfare. Here there are several buildings dating back to the 19th century including the village's shop and the adjoining Coram Cottage, constructed in 1856.

After the Second World War the village began to spread southwards and further east along what now are called Mill Lane and East Lane. At the southern end of the village there is a former council estate constructed in the 1960s which formed the greatest part of the development. Construction of new houses continues today. Along East Lane small farms are gradually being developed into large homes so that the rural and residential split becomes less marked.


The Church of England parish church is dedicated to St Hilda, an English abbess who founded Whitby Abbey. The church dates back to Saxon times, with elements from the 13th century. Attached to the church is a primary school run jointly by the Church of England and the North Yorkshire County Council Education service.

Ampleforth Abbey is only away. Our Lady and St Benedict's church is served by the monks of Ampleforth and has been the parish church for the village's Catholic population for many decades, often being considered a chapel-of-ease to the farmers of the area. Attached to the Roman Catholic parish is the co-educational primary school, St Benedict's, which is run by the Diocese of Middlesbrough as a systemic school.

There are two public houses in the village, the White Swan and the White Horse. The latter takes its name from the large white horse which was carved into the hillside a few miles to the west.

Ampleforth had a Quaker settlement on the edge of the village, in Shallowdale to the west. The 16th century Carr House Farm was occupied by flax workers to weave flax into linen.

Prior to the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974, Ampleforth was part of Helmsley Rural District. Historically, it was an ecclesiastical parish in both the Birdforth Wapentake and Rydale Wapentake.


Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Ampleforth. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.