Place:Alverdiscott, Devon, England

Alt namesAlscottsource: Family History Library Catalog
Alveredescotasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 76
Alveredescotesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 76
Coordinates51°N 4.117°W
Located inDevon, England
See alsoFremington Hundred, Devon, Englandhundred of which the parish was a part
Torrington Rural, Devon, Englandrural district in which the parish was located 1894-1974
Torridge District, Devon, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Alverdiscott (pronounced Alscott) is a village and civil parish in the Torridge District of Devon, centred 5.5 miles (9 km) SSW of Barnstaple and 4 miles (6.4 km) in the opposite direction from Great Torrington. The B3232 road skirts the nucleus of the village.

The parish now has a rural population with 105 homes. The parish had a population of 281 according to the 2001 UK census and increased by five in the ten years to 2011.

From 1894 until 1974 the parish was in the Torrington Rural District and since 1974 local administration is dealt with by the Torridge District.



Alverdiscott has settled low unemployment, agriculture, home-working, commuting to Barnstaple and other towns across west Devon. Seasonally the village generates recreational and tourism-derived income such as from holiday lodges. The South West Coast Path and the beaches of Westward Ho! are within easy reach as are gardens and golf courses along the River Torridge.


The parish has three sublocalities, or more archaically, hamlets, Woodtown (Alverdiscott) in the west, Alscott Barton describes part of the village nucleus and Stony Cross (Alverdiscott) is in between these two places.


A Scheduled Ancient Monument is associated with the place: a Roman marching camp fort in the west of the area, on an earlier Iron Age enclosure. The church is built of granite with sloped slate roofs over the main body (nave) and squatter extension to the nave. It has an archetypal Norman font and doorway, a tall tower and sixteenth-century pulpit. It is a listed building architecturally in the middle category, grade II*.

The village has long lost pronunciation of its middle letters yet refused in the Victorian era to adjust its older spelling in favour of a more phonetic modern form except when describing 'Alscott Barton'. One of its manors was named Webbery, as Webbery Manor exists and nearby house of Webbery Barton reflecting the wealthy Barton family who had built a further starting-category listed building in the village, Alscott Barton which is used to describe the land once within its ambit and immediately around it in the village centre.

Registration Districts

Research Tips

  • Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Devonshire Northand Devonshire South illustrate the parish boundaries of Devon when rural districts were still in existence. The maps publication year is 1931. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. These maps are now downloadable for personal use.
  • GENUKI has a new map feature on its individual Devon parish pages. Each parish page includes an outline map of parishes in the region of the one under inspection. By clicking on this map the user is taken to a blow-up of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file] provided by R. J. P. Kain and R. R. Oliver of the History Data Service of Colchester, Essex (distributed by UK Data Archive).
  • Devon County Council's Record Offices and Local Studies Libraries are being reorganized and amalgamated to form the Devon Heritage Services, comprising the Devon Heritage Centre (Exeter) and the North Devon Record Office (Barnstaple). These developments, which are described in Historical Records: A New Future for Devon's Heritage, do not affect the other major Devon archive, the Plymouth & West Devon Record Office, or the Local Studies Library, which are located in Plymouth and come under the Plymouth City Council. (Devon FHS report that Plymouth Record Office has just aquired new premises.) There is a guide entitled Which heritage centre or record office should I visit? which is provided to explain the organization further.
  • Devon Family History Society Mailing address: PO Box 9, Exeter, EX2 6YP, United Kingdom. Specialized contacts for membership, publications, queries, etc. The society has branches in various parts of the county. It is the largest Family History Society in the United Kingdom.
  • Devon has a Online Parish Clerk (OPC) Project. Only about half of the parishes have a volunteer contributing local data. For more information, consult the website, especially the list at the bottom of the homepage.
  • GENUKI makes a great many suggestions as to other websites with worthwhile information about Devon as well as leading to a collection of 19th century descriptions of each of the ecclesiastical parishes. Devon is one of the counties on the GENUKI website that has recently (summer 2015) been updated. The maps described above are just one of the innovations.
  • The FamilySearch Wiki provides a similar information service to GENUKI which may be more up-to-date. An index of parishes leads to notes and references for each parish.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time has
  1. organization charts of the hierarchies of parishes within hundreds, registration districts and rural and urban districts of the 20th century
  2. excerpts from a gazetteer of circa 1870 outlining individual towns and parishes
  3. reviews of population through the time period 1800-1960
  • More local sources can often be found by referring to "What Links Here" in the column on the left.