Place:Eaton and Alsop, Derbyshire, England

Watchers
NameEaton and Alsop
Alt namesAlsop le Dale and Eatonsource: place name variation
Alsop-le-Dale and Eatonsource: spelling variation
Alsop en le Dalesource: chapelry in parish
Alsop Moorsource: hamlet in current parish
Cold Eatonsource: hamlet in current parish
Eatonsource: shortened form of Cold Eaton
TypeChapelry, Civil parish
Coordinates53.093°N 1.762°W
Located inDerbyshire, England
See alsoAshbourne, Derbyshire, Englandancient parish of which it was part
Wirksworth Hundred, Derbyshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Ashbourne Rural, Derbyshire, Englandrural district in which it was situated 1894-1974
Derbyshire Dales District, Derbyshire, Englandadministrative district covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog


NOTE: Long Eaton and Little Eaton are located east of the town of Derby.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Eaton and Alsop from John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles of 1887:

"Eaton and Alsop-le-Dale, township, Ashborne parish, N. Derby[shire], 6 miles NW. of Ashborne, 1527 acres, population 58."

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Eaton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"EATON, in Ashborne parish, Derby. See Alsop-le-Dale."

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Alsop-le-Dale and Eaton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"ALSOP-LE-DALE and EATON, a chapelry in Ashborne parish, Derby; near the river Dove, 6 miles N by W of Ashborne [railway] station. Post Town: Parwich under Ashborne. Acres, with Newton-Grange hamlet: 2,264. Rated property: £1,558. Population: 76. Houses: 12. The property is not much divided. The living is a [perpetual] curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value: £49. Patrons: the Inhabitants and Freeholders. The church is good."

Eaton and Alsop was originally a township in the ancient parish of Ashbourne in the Wirksworth Hundred of Derbyshire, England. It was made a civil parish in 1866 and in 1894 it became part of the Ashbourne Rural District. Since 1974 it has been in the non-metropolitan Derbyshire Dales District.

Wikipedia states (a condensation of their article):
Alsop en le Dale is a village in Derbyshire, England about 5 miles (8.0 km) north of Ashbourne close to the Staffordshire border, and a mile from Dovedale, a popular tourist location. The church of St. Michael and All Angels is of Norman origin, but was restored in the 19th century. The church serves the hamlets of Alsop Moor, Cold Eaton and Newton Grange. Alsop Hall opposite the church, was built in the late 16th century for the Alsop family. The village formerly had a station on the railway line connecting Ashbourne and Buxton.

Research Tips

  • British History Online (Victoria County Histories) does not appear to cover Derbyshire geographically. A History of the County of Derby: Volume 2, edited by William Page is a part-volume covering the religious houses of the county. No further volumes have been found.
  • GENUKI main page for Derbyshire which provides information on various topics covering the whole of the county, and also a link to a list of parishes. Under each parish there is a list of the settlements within it and brief description of each. This is a list of pre-1834 ancient or ecclesiastical parishes but there are suggestions as to how to find parishes set up since then. GENUKI provides references to other organizations who hold genealogical information for the local area. There is no guarantee that the website has been kept up to date and therefore the reader should check additional sources if possible.
  • The FamilyTree Wiki has a series of pages similar to those provided by GENUKI which may have been prepared at a later date and from more recent data. The wiki has a link to English Jurisdictions 1851 which gives the registration district and wapentake for each parish, together with statistics from the 1851 census for the area.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time, Derbyshire, section "Units and Statistics" leads to analyses of population and organization of the county from about 1800 through 1974. There are pages available for all civil parishes, municipal boroughs and other administrative divisions. Descriptions provided are usually based on a gazetteer of 1870-72 which often provides brief notes on the economic basis of the settlement and significant occurences through its history.
  • These two maps indicate the boundaries between parishes, etc., but for a more detailed view of a specific area try a map from this selection. The oldest series are very clear at the third magnification offered. Comparing the map details with the GENUKI details for the same area is well worthwhile.