Abu Qir ( ; also spelled Abukir or Aboukir) is a town on the Mediterranean coast of Egypt, northeast of Alexandria by rail. It is located on Abu Qir Peninsula, with Abu Qir Bay to the east. The name is taken from the name of an Egyptian Christian martyr, named Cyrus, Arabized as .
The town contains a castle that, early in the 19th century, at the time of Muhammad Ali of Egypt, was used as a prison.
Near the village are many remains of ancient buildings, Egyptian, Greek and Roman. About three kilometers (two miles) southeast of the village are ruins supposed to mark the site of Canopus. A little farther east the Canopic branch of the Nile (now dry) entered the Mediterranean.
Stretching eastward as far as the Rosetta mouth of the Nile is the spacious Abu Qir Bay (Khalīj Abū Qīr), where on 1 August 1798, Horatio Nelson fought the Battle of the Nile, often referred to as the "Battle of Aboukir Bay". The latter title is applied more properly to an engagement between the French expeditionary army and the Turks fought on 25 July the following year; see Battle of Abukir of 1799. Near Abū Qīr, on 8 March 1801, units of the British army commanded by Sir Ralph Abercromby landed from their transports in the face of a strenuous opposition from a French force entrenched on the beach. Abercromby died of wounds received in the battle.
In 2000, an Italian archeologist discovered the remains of British officers, sailors, marines, women, and children on Nelson's Island, which lies in the bay.