- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Abbots Bickington is a village in the English county of Devon.
The village was held by Goda in the time of King Edward before the Norman Conquest of 1066 and is recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086-7 as Bichetone, when it was held by Gerald the Chaplain.
In the 12th century the manor was given to Hartland Abbey by Geoffrey de Dinant, as part of the abbey's initial endowment. It remained as property of the abbey until dissolution in 1539.
The village is located in the Torridge local authority area. Historically it formed part of Black Torrington Hundred. It falls within Holsworthy Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. A parish history file is held in Holsworthy Library.
The population was 68 in 1801, 61 in 1901, and 35 in 2001. Because of low population there is no parish council; instead there is a parish meeting.
The village church has thirteenth century lancet windows and fifteenth century stained glass, featuring St Anthony and St Christopher. There is also a monument to Thomas Pollard.