Place:Abbess Roding, Essex, England

Watchers
NameAbbess Roding
Alt namesAbbess-Rodingsource: Family History Library Catalog
Abbots-Roothingsource: Family History Library Catalog
Roingessource: Domesday Book (1985) p 100
Roothing-Abbotssource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeVillage
Coordinates51.783°N 0.283°E
Located inEssex, England
See alsoAbbess Beauchamp and Berners Roding, Essex, Englandparish to which it was transferred in 1946
Ongar Rural, Essex, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1955
Epping and Ongar Rural, Essex, Englandrural district in which it was located 1955-1974
Epping Forest (district), Essex, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Abbess Roding is one of eight hamlets and villages called The Rodings in Essex, England.

Its name derives from the Abbess of Barking who was a patron of the parish church of St. Edmund in the Middle Ages.

Abbess Roding is located in the west of Essex, north of Chipping Ongar, between Harlow in the west and from the county town of Chelmsford in the east. The village is in the district of Epping Forest and in the parliamentary constituency of Brentwood & Ongar. The village has been part of the civil parish of Abbess Beauchamp and Berners Roding since 1946.

Abbess Roding recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086-7 as Roinges in the Hundred of Ongar, when it was part of the land of Geoffrey de Mandeville and was held by Geoffrey Martel.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Abbess Roding. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.