Facts and Events
- Intermediate Source:FamilyTreeMaker page of Charles A. Cowan
- Person:David Cowan (1)
- Person:William Cowan (25)
- Notebook. Samuel Cowan and Sarah Keith
- Source:Cole, 1994
- Lineage and Vita Data for Samuel Cowan and Sarah Keith from Ancestry Public Member Trees
- Parents of Samuel Cowan (23)
- Cowans in Alabama Census, 1830 (no Samuel)
- 1830 Census, McNairy TN, Samuel Cowan age 50-59
Modern genealogists give a DOB for Samuel Cowan (23) 1770 to 1780, with 1779 being the most commonly cited. Where genealogists think he was probably born depends to some extent on who they think his parents were, and where they think they were living at the time of his birth. Most genealogists give his POB as either Bedford County VA, or Knox County TN, and his parents as either William Cowan=Jane Walker, or David Cowan=Jane Wrightm though there are a few other candidates as well. 
William and David Cowan, the most commonly accepted candidates for Samuel's father, were probably brothers, whose father David lived in Bedford County Virginia prior to his dath about 17XX. Currently, knowledge of William Cowan and David Cowan indicate that they were living ln South West Virginia from roughly 1771 to 1786. Where they were living prior to 1771 is unclear. William was probably living in NC, while David was probably living in Bedford County. given would seem to be in error, or perhaps the commonly accepted DOB for Samuel is in error. If Samuel could be shown to have been born before about 1770 a POB of Bedford County, or perhaps North Carolina could be supported. A Blount County POB would be supported if he were found to have been born after 1786. Devloping a well documented DOB would very useful in establishing who might be Samuel's father.
Samuel is almost universally identified as marrying Sarah Keith, though she is sometimes identified as Sarah Margaret Keith.
- McNairy County TN Census, 1830
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Lineage and Vita Data for Samuel Cowan and Sarah Keith from Ancestry Public Member Trees gives this as the most commonly occurring value, accepted by a majority of users posting their genealogies on Ancestry. While the most commonly accepted vita are not necessarily the "correct" vita, until documentation is developed to support any given value, these "consensus values" serve as a useful framework for research on this person.
- ↑ See:Alternatives, which include Person:Andrew Cowan (4) and Person:Samuel Cowan (1). All of the above are usually associated with the Wigton Walker lineage. A less frequently encountered lineage is that of an Alexander Walker who married first Elizabeth Buchanan, and second, a Jane Walker; neither of whom have any obvious connection to the Wigton Walkers.