Facts and Events
||John Henry Becker
||06 MAY 1873
||Elgin, Kane, Illinois
||Wayne, Du Page, Illinois
||13 MAR 1895
||Chicago, Cook, Illinoisto Sophia (Sophie) Caroline Polkow
||06 APR 1906
||Chicago, Cook, Illinois5045 S. Justine
||a Painter and Decorator
||28 NOV 1926
||Chicago, Cook, Illinois
||02 DEC 1926
||Chicago, Cook, Illinois
JOHN HENRY BECKER was born on 6 May 1873 at Elgin, Kane County, Illinois. John's parents came from Germany. He was the youngest of four children, three boys and a girl. His two older brothers were Christian and Henry and his sister was Charlotte. John would eventually name his youngest daughter Charlotte, after his mother and sister.
He married Sophia (Sophie) Caroline Polkow, daughter of Carl (Charles) Polkow and Fredericka [Polkow] of Thorton, Illinois. They married on 13 Mar 1895 at Chicago, Cook County, Illinois. John was 21.
When John was 24 in 1897 the extended family became embroiled in scandal when his Aunt Charlotte's brother-in-law Adolph was charged with murder following the disappearance of his wife, Louise. Police charged him with killing her and dissolving her body in a vat inside his sausage factory. The case was a national sensation and he became know as The Sausage King MurdererS10. His uncle Arnold then fell on hard times in his business dealings and committed suicide in grisly public fashion. John's father identified the body.
John and Sophie were the parents of four girls, Olga, Adele, Alma and Charlotte. He and Sophia (Sophie) Caroline Polkow lived at at 5045 S. Justine, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, in 1906, when their youngest daughter Charlotte was born. They lived in Chicago their entire lives. John was a Painter.
He died at age 53 on 28 Nov 1926 of Heart failure after an appendicitis operation. He lived at 5946 Laflin, Chicago when he died. He was buried in Cedar Park Cemetery.
Charles Charlotte Sophie John
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1880 US Federal Census: Wayne, Du Page County, Illinois, 1880, Primary quality.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 John Henry Becker Death Certificate. (Death Certificate), 1926, Primary quality.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Charlotte Becker Black Birth Certificate, Name Of Person: Charlotte Becker. (Birth Certificate), 1906, Primary quality.
- ↑ Cedar Park Cemetery Records: Deceased: John Becker. (Cemetery Record), 1926, Primary quality.
Cedar Park Cemetery Record
- ↑ John and Sophie Becker Headstone. (Cedar Park Cemetery, 123rd & Halsted, Chicago Illinois), 1926, Primary quality.
Cedar Park Cemetery Headstones
- ↑ 1900 US Federal Population Census: Chicago Ward 30, Cook County, Illinois, 1900, Primary quality.
- 1910 US Federal Population Census: 29-Wd Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, 1910, Primary quality.
- 1920 US Federal Population Census: Chicago Ward 31, Cook County, Illinois, 1920, Primary quality.
- ↑ John Becker Obituary. (Chicago Tribune, Chicago, Illinois, Nov 30, 1926), 1926, Primary quality.
- Robert Loerzel. Alchemy of Bones by Robert Loerzel, Secondary quality.
- Illinois State Archives Polkow Marriages, 1895, Primary quality.
- John Becker - Sophie Polkow Marriage Certificate. (Marriage Certificate), 1895, Primary quality.
- Chicago Tribune. Becker Polkow Wedding Announcement, 1895, Primary quality.
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 John Becker WWI Draft Registration, 1916, Primary quality.
- John Becker in "Black and Feaster Lineages" at Ancestry.com
- ↑ Death Certificate
- ↑ Cedar Park Cemetery Record
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 Cedar Park Cemetery Headstones
- ↑ Obituary
Help fund new features!