Facts and Events
Will of James Porter
- PORTER, JAMES Octarara Hundred, Cecil Co. MD.
- January 23, 1775 October 21, 1785
- Wife: Eleanor Porter.
- Children: William, Andrew, Stephen, James, Samuel, Elizabeth, Eleanor and Mary.
- Ex.: Stephen and William Porter.
- ↑ Evidentiary basis for place of birth is needed. Some genealogists give the POB as Elagh, (probably Elagh More) in Ireland. Others give Coleraine, or Londonderry. All three locations are in northern Ireland, but I've not found anyone who gives a basis for the POB.
- ↑ From Margaret Ewing Fife's "Ewing in Early America" Chapter XXIV, p 186:
"Book I Land Commissions of Cecil Co., MD 1724-1751 pp265-270, page 265 Cecil Co., Md June Court 1736 Held for sd County: The Justices of Cecil Co. aforesaid in court judicially setting To Mr. Randall Death, Mr. William Husbands, Mr. Joshua Ewing of Cecil Co., Gentlemen, Whereas William Teague of sd County, Planter, by the humble petition to us".[This is to determine boundaries of land, TEAGUES CHOICE, depositions were taken from several persons]. On page 270: "October 28, 1736 the deposition of James Porter aged about thirty (30) years [E.W.R. Ewing in CLAN EWING OF SCOTLAND page 119 quotes J.W. Kernohan, Secy. of Presby. Hist. Soc. of Ireland as saying that James Porter was born 1699, brother to Rachel who married Nathaniel Ewing] and Joshua Ewing aged about 32, and James Ewing aged about 24 and Samuel Ewing aged about 31 and Andrew Madow aged about 24..."
The expanded and corrected [records for] Fife which [are] being indexed... [They are]] only available [at] the Ewing Family Association website but [are] free to read. Clan Ewing of Scotland is widely available in various electronic formats (e.g. archive.org)--LarsEighner 15:09, 26 September 2012 (EDT)