Facts and Events
||by abt 1617
||Based on estimated date of marriage.
||to Mary Unknown
||19 Nov 1655- 14 Dec 1655
||Rowley, Essex, Massachusetts, United StatesBetween date of will and date of inventory.
||19 Nov 1655
||14 Dec 1655
||£234-11-08; £86-10 in real estate; £51-16 in debts owing by Hugh Smith.
||25 Mar 1656
||Apparently Cutter is the one who errs in the date.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Cutter, William Richard, and William Frederick Adams. Genealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts. (New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Co., 1910), 1:478.
Hugh Smith, immigrant ancestor, was born in England and was among the early settlers of Rowley, Massachusetts. He was one of the proprietors of that town, and was admitted freeman May 18, 1642. He was overseer of the poor in 1649 and 1654, and selectman in 1651. He was a man of substance and importance in the community. In 1643 his house lot was a half-acre in Bradford street. Hugh Smith's will dated November 19, 1655, proved March 20 following, bequeathed to wife Mary his estate; to be divided among his children after her death or marriage.
- ↑ Savage, James. A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England: Showing Three Generations of Those Who Came Before May, 1692, on the Basis of Farmer's Register. (Boston: Little, Brown, and Co, 1860-1862), 4:116.
SMITH, HUGH, Rowley, freem. 18 May 1642; by w. Mary had Edward, b. 1654, and prob. earlier, John, Samuel, and four ds. and he d. 1656. His wid. m. 2 Dec. 1657, Jeremiah Ellsworth.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Jewett, Amos Everett, [Editor], and George Brainard [Compiler] Blodgette. Early Settlers of Rowley, Massachusetts: A Genealogical Record of the Families who Settled in Rowley before 1700 with Several Generations of their Descendants. (Rowley, Mass.: Amos Everett Jewett (Newcomb & Gauss Co., Printers, Salem, Mass.), 1933), 344.
HUGH(1) SMITH, freeman 18 : 3 mo. 1642, had an acre and half house lot on Bradford Street, 1643; was an overseer, 1649 and 1654; selectman, 1651. He brought with him his wife, Mary. His will, dated 19 : 9 mo. 1655, proved 25 : 1 mo. 1656, mentions wife, Mary; youngest son (unnamed), and "my eldest son Samuel Smith." (Essex Probate). His widow, Mary, married (2) Jeremiah Ellsworth.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Massachusetts, Probate Court (Essex County). The Probate Records of Essex County, Massachusetts. (Salem, Massachusetts: The Essex Institute, 1916, 1917, 1920), I:236.
(Hugh Smith's will) Proved in Ipswich Court 25 : 1 : 1656.
Inventory taken 14 : 10 : 1655 by Joseph Jewett and Thomas Dickanson … total, 234li. 11s. 8d. (86-10 in real estate); Debts owing by Hugh Smith … total, 51li. 16.
- ↑ Blodgette & Jewett listing of his children does non include the "John" named by Savage.
Help fund new features!