Facts and Events
||19 Jan 1832
||near Fayetteville, Fountain County, Indiana
||30 Jun 1853
||Albia, Monroe County, Iowato William H. Smith
||8 Feb 1905
||Mountain View, Howell, Missouri(apparently while visiting her daughter)
||Oakview Cemetery, Albia, Monroe, Iowa, United States
Caroline applied for and received a Civil War widow's pension. Very little else is known about her and no stories have survived about her on the Smith side of the family.
Monroe County, Iowa, 1870 census:S2
- Smith, Caroline 39 yrs b. Indiana Keeping House (real estate = $1,600; personal estate = $150)
- Emma R. dau 16 yrs b. Iowa
- Edward A. son 14 yrs b. Iowa
- Mary R. dau 11 yrs b. Iowa
- Wilbur D. son 9 yrs b. Iowa
Monroe County, Iowa, 1880 census:S3
- Smith, Caroline 48 yrs b. Indiana (father, b. Maryland; mother, b. New York) Keeping House
- Edward A. son 24 yrs b. Iowa Operator Tel. [telegraph]
- Wilbur E. son 18 yrs b. Iowa Clerk in Grocery
Monroe County, Iowa, 1885 state census:S4
- Smith, Caroline 48 yrs (wid.) Keeping House b. Indiana
- Edward A. 27 yrs (single) [no occupation] b. Monroe County
- Wilber D. 23 yrs (single) Laborer b. Monroe County
[Not been located anywhere in the 1895 Iowa State Census or the 1900 U.S. Census]
- Smith, Caroline. Civil War Widow's Pension File.
no. 16,677, NARA File WC 16-677
- Monroe, Iowa, United States. 1870 U.S. Census Population Schedule, p. 430.
- Monroe, Iowa, United States. 1880 U.S. Census Population Schedule, ED 138, p. 19.
- Monroe County, Iowa. 1885 Iowa State Census, p. __, house/family 80/81.
Troy Twp (Albia) Benton St. bet. Grant & Hamilton
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Albia, Monroe, Iowa, United States. Albia Republican. (Albia, Iowa), 16 Feb 1905.
Born 8 Jan 1832 near Fayettesville, Fountain County, Indiana. Moved with parents to Monroe County at age 12. Married Wm. H. Smith, 14 April 1853. Died 8 Feb 1905 Mountain View, Missouri. Four children, all living: Emma R. Cory (Mountain View, Missouri), Edward A. (Albia), David W. (Albia), Mary R. Bartling (Houston, Texas). Two brothers: Oliver P. & Anson Rowles, both of Albia. Two sisters: Sarah R. Bonnett & Mary A. Rowles, both of Chariton.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Grave marker, Oakview Cemetery, Albia, Monroe County, Iowa.
Old part north of the road, Lot 230.