Adelaide , Countess of Vermandois
Facts and Events
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Adelaide of Vermandois (d 1120 or 1124) was suo jure Countess of Vermandois and Valois and the last member of the Carolingian dynasty.
Adelaide was the daughter of Herbert IV, Count of Vermandois, and Adele of Valois and of the Vexin. Her brother was Eudes, Count of Vermandois (+ after 1085), married to Hedwig. Later became Lord of Saint-Simon by marriage.
Adelaide married firstly Hugh Magnus, son of the Capetian King Henry I of France and younger brother of Philip I of France. By this marriage she had nine children:
- Matilda (fl 1110), married Ralph I of Beaugency
- Beatrice (living 1144), married Hugh III of Gournay
- Elizabeth of Vermandois, Countess of Leicester (d 1131)
- Ralph I (d 1152)
- Constance, married Godfrey de la Ferté-Gaucher
- Agnes (living 1125), married Boniface of Savone
- Henry (d 1130), Lord of Chaumont en Vexin
- Simon (d 1148)
- William, possibly married to Isabella, illegitimate daughter of King Louis VI of France
In 1104, she married secondly Renaud II, Count of Clermont. By this marriage she had one daughter, Margaret, who married Charles I, Count of Flanders.
In 1102, Adelaide was succeeded by her son, Ralph I. Adelaide died in 1120 or 1124 and the Carolingian dynasty died out with her.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Adelaide, Countess of Vermandois, in Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia.
- Ancestral Roots of Certain American Colonists, 7th Edition, by Frederick Lewis Weis, additions by Walter Lee Shippard Jr., 1999, line 50-23.
- Complete Peerage of England Scotland Ireland Great Britain and the United Kingdom, by G. E Cokayne, Sutton Publishing Ltd, 2000.
- Visitation of Cornwall, Vivian ed., 1887, p.105.
- Adams, Arthur. English Ancestry of the Elkinton Family of New Jersey. The American Genealogist. (July 1945), p. 14.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 ADELAIS de Vermandois (-28 Sep [1120/24])., in Cawley, Charles. Medieval Lands: A prosopography of medieval European noble and royal families.
- Aelis de Vermandois, Comtesse de Vermandois, in Lundy, Darryl. The Peerage: A genealogical survey of the peerage of Britain as well as the royal families of Europe.
- ↑ Estimation of birth year taken from Cawley (1065) rather than Wikipedia (1062) based on the fact that she had 2 children after 1103.