- Joel Hager
- US History Tour
- JSTOR has a good article whose first page gives much of the early history of the church]
Records of the First Philadelphia Presbyterian Church date back to 1698. The church’s congregation met in the Barbados Company Store, until a formal church was built in 1704. The church was came to be known as “Old Buttonwood” and was located on the southeast corner of Market Street and White Horse Alley (later Banks Street). The ares in which it was located developed into the commercial heart of Old Philadelphia, and became surrounded by businesses and banking establishments. By 1720 the congregation decided decided to sell the lot, and establish a new church, located to the west at Seventh Ave and Locust St.
- Finding Aids for First Presbyterian, at Presbyterian Historical Society in Philadelphia