Place:Yeovilton, Somerset, England

Alt namesBridgehamptonsource: hamlet in parish
Speckingtonsource: hamlet in parish
TypeAncient parish, Civil parish
Coordinates51.004°N 2.649°W
Located inSomerset, England
See alsoSomerton Hundred, Somerset, Englandhundred in which it was located
Yeovil Rural, Somerset, Englandrural district 1894-1974
South Somerset District, Somerset, Englanddistrict council covering the area since 1974
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Yeovilton (#39 on map) is a civil parish and a village in Somerset, England, 1 mile (1.6 km) east of Ilchester and 5 miles (8.0 km) north of Yeovil. This includes Podimore (#26) (also known as Puddimore or Milton Podimore which was merged with Yeovilton in 1933) and the hamlets of Speckington and Bridgehampton. The village includes RNAS Yeovilton (HMS Heron) and the associated Fleet Air Arm Museum. The village had a population of 1,226 in the 2011 UK census and was re-estimated at 1,420 in 2019.

Yeovilton is close to the route of the Fosse Way, a Roman road that linked Exeter in Devon to Lincoln in Lincolnshire, via Ilchester, Bath, Cirencester in Gloucestershire, Leicester in Leicestershire and Newark on Trent in Nottinghamshire. There is evidence of a Romano-British farmstead under what is now an airfield.

In 1411 the lord of the manor was John Rogers, who also held the manor of Barwick. By 1602, these had been inherited by Henry Lyte. The holding was purchased by G. D. W. Digby of Sherborne Castle in Dorset in 1857 and remained with the Digby family until 1919.

The Church of St. Peter in Podimore dates from the 14th century and has been designated by English Heritage as a grade I listed building.

The Church of St. Bartholomew in Yeovilton dates from around 1300 and is a grade II* listed building. From 1642 Richard Sterne held the rectory of Yeovilton before going on to become Archbishop of York. Since 1993 the church has been owned by the Royal Navy, and it serves as the Memorial Chapel for the Fleet Air Arm.

Image:Yeovil Rural 1900 small.png


Yeovilton was originally a parish in the Somerton Hundred, one of the hundreds or early subdivisions of the county of Somerset. From 1894 until 1974 it was part of the Yeovil Rural District.

In 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, all urban and rural districts across England were abolished and counties were reorganized into metropolitan and non-metropolitan districts. Yeovilton joined the non-metropolitan South Somerset District which covers the southeast corner of Somerset.

Research Tips

  • GENUKI page on Yeovilton.
  • An article on Yeovilton from the Victoria History of the Counties of England – History of the County of Somerset], produced by The Institute of Historical Research.
  • The Somerset Heritage Centre (incorporating what was formerly the Somerset Record Office and the Somerset Local Studies Library) can be found at its new location at Langford Mead in Taunton. It has an online search facility leading to pages of interest, including maps from the First and Second Ordnance Survey (select "Maps and Postcards" from the list at the left, then enter the parish in the search box).
    The Heritage Centre has an email address:
  • Three maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrate the changes in political boundaries over the period 1830-1945. All have expanding scales and on the second and third this facility is sufficient that individual parishes can be inspected.
  • Somerset Hundreds as drawn in 1832. This map was prepared before The Great Reform Act of that year. Note the polling places and representation of the various parts of the county.
  • Somerset in 1900, an Ordnance Survey map showing rural districts, the boundaries of the larger towns, the smaller civil parishes of the time, and some hamlets and villages in each parish
  • Somerset in 1943, an Ordnance Survey map showing the rural districts after the changes to their structure in the 1930s