Place:Barwick, Somerset, England

Alt namesStofordsource: hamlet in parish
TypeAncient parish, Civil parish
Coordinates50.923°N 2.621°W
Located inSomerset, England
See alsoHoundsborough Barwick and Coker Hundred, Somerset, Englandhundred in which it was located
Yeovil Rural, Somerset, Englandrural district 1894-1974
South Somerset District, Somerset, Englandnon-metropolitan district municipality covering the area since 1974
the text in this section is condensed from an article in Wikipedia

Barwick (#3 on map) is a civil parish with a village of the same name in Somerset, England, about 2 miles (3.2 km) south of Yeovil. The southern parish border is the county border with Dorset. The parish of Barwick, which includes the village of Stoford, had a population of 1,221 in the UK census of 2011.

The estate originally formed part of the property of Syon Abbey in western Middlesex, and passed through various hands after the Dissolution in the late 1530s. The present house and park are thought to have been built in 1770 by John and Grace Newman, whose relations owned neighbouring Newton Surmaville in Dorset.

During World War II, it was the location of a prisoner of war camp, initially housing Italian prisoners from the Western Desert Campaign, and later German prisoners after the Battle of Normandy.

The Church of Saint Mary Magdalene is just off the A37 road at the western end of the village, about half a mile away from the main centre of population. The church was built before 1219 as a chapel of the minster church in Yeovil. It has been rebuilt and restored since, particularly in the 1850 when the chancel was rebuilt. There is still a weekly service. The ecclesiastical parish is now part of the benefice of Holy Trinity, Yeovil. The most architecturally significant features of the church are the bench ends, dating from 1533 - the eve of the English Reformation. The bench ends depict scenes from village life as well as typical pagan symbolism from that period such as the Green Man and the unicorn, a symbol of eternal life. There are also religious objects dating back much earlier, presumably from the church originally on the site, e.g. the Norman font. The church has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade II* listed building.

Image:Yeovil Rural 1900 small.png


Barwick was originally a parish in the Houndsborough Hundred, one of the hundreds or early subdivisions of the county of Somerset. From 1894 until 1974 it was part of the Yeovil Rural District.

In 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, all urban and rural districts across England were abolished and counties were reorganized into metropolitan and non-metropolitan districts. Barwick joined the non-metropolitan South Somerset District which covers the north-central section of Somerset.

Research Tips

  • GENUKI page on Barwick.
  • The Victoria History of the Counties of EnglandHistory of the County of Somerset, produced by The Institute of Historical Research at the University of London, does not provide any details on the parish and chapelries of Houndsborough Hundred.
  • The Somerset Heritage Centre (incorporating what was formerly the Somerset Record Office and the Somerset Local Studies Library) can be found at its new location at Langford Mead in Taunton. It has an online search facility leading to pages of interest, including maps from the First and Second Ordnance Survey (select "Maps and Postcards" from the list at the left, then enter the parish in the search box).
    The Heritage Centre has an email address:
  • Three maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrate the changes in political boundaries over the period 1830-1945. All have expanding scales and on the second and third this facility is sufficient that individual parishes can be inspected.
  • Somerset Hundreds as drawn in 1832. This map was prepared before The Great Reform Act of that year. Note the polling places and representation of the various parts of the county.
  • Somerset in 1900, an Ordnance Survey map showing rural districts, the boundaries of the larger towns, the smaller civil parishes of the time, and some hamlets and villages in each parish
  • Somerset in 1943, an Ordnance Survey map showing the rural districts after the changes to their structure in the 1930s
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Barwick, Somerset. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.