Place:Woodford, Northamptonshire, England

Watchers
NameWoodford
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates52.164°N 1.212°W
Located inNorthamptonshire, England
See alsoThrapston Rural, Northamptonshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1935
Oundle and Thrapston Rural, Northamptonshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1935-1974
East Northamptonshire District, Northamptonshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog


NOTE: Northamptonshire also contains another parish named Woodford cum Membris which is to be found in the Daventry District.


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Woodford is a large village and civil parish located in East Northamptonshire, England. At the time of the 2011 census, the parish's population (including Woodwell) was 1,461 people.

It is in two distinct parts, the easterly, lower, part being alongside the River Nene and the westerly, upper, part is on the through road out of the Nene valley. Its parish church is dedicated to St Mary the Virgin and has the nickname "the Cathedral of the Nene".

Inside the church can be found a couple of curiosities. Within a niche cut into a pillar, there is a mummified human heart wrapped in coarse cloth. This was discovered during restoration work in 1867. There is also a framed newspaper cutting; this concerns a photograph of an alleged ghost taken in the church in 1964.

Woodford House, an early 19th-century mansion, was the home of the Arbuthnot family and scene of the death of the diarist Harriet Arbuthnot in 1833. The property was purchased in 1880 by Charles Henry Plevins from Arthur Arbuthnot, son of General Charles Arbuthnot. The house was altered between 1899 and 1910 and had a new garden created in 1909. The Arbuthnots owned iron ore quarries on the estate which were dug from circa 1851, an early date for what was later to become a large industry in Northamptonshire. The Arbuthnot's quarry appears to have been shortlived but a sample of the ore was exhibited at the Great Exhibition in Hyde Park, London, in 1851. There was a further experiment in commercial quarrying from about 1860 and again in 1866. The early attempts suffered from a lack of transport facilities and the ore must have been taken away by horse and cart but in 1866 the Kettering to Thrapston railway opened and a connecting tramway was constructed from close to Woodford House to the railway at Twywell..The quarrying (and some adit mining) lasted from 1866 to 1886, starting near Woodford Lodge and extending north of the road later on.There were also quarries south west of Twywell Station on the north side of the road between 1881 and 1883. There was also a brickworks near there. The main tramway (standard gauge) had steam locomotives from the start but some of the quarries were connected to it by narrow gauge lines and these were worked by hand or by horse until 1883. There were some visible remains of the quarries and buildings at least until 1986.

These quarries were to the west of Woodford village.Another quarry to the north of the village operated from 1867 but was closed by 1892. This quarry was connected to a tipping dock on the railway east of Twywell Station by a horse operated 4 foot gauge tramway. No landscaping was undertaken until 1970 and there were still some traces of the quarry as at 1986


Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Woodford, Northamptonshire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.