Place:West Newton, East Riding of Yorkshire, England

NameWest Newton
Alt namesWest Newtonsource: from redirect
Neutonesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 309
West Newton with Burton Constablesource: formal name for civil parish
TypeHamlet, Township, Civil parish
Coordinates53.817°N 0.183°W
Located inEast Riding of Yorkshire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inYorkshire, England    
Humberside, England     (1974 - 1996)
East Riding of Yorkshire, England     (1996 - )
See alsoAldbrough (near Hull), East Riding of Yorkshire, Englandancient parish in which West Newton had been a township
Swine, East Riding of Yorkshire, Englandancient parish in which West Newton had been a township
Holderness Wapentake, East Riding of Yorkshire, Englandwapentake in which the parish was located
Skirlaugh Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, Englandrural district of which it was a part 1894-1935
Burton Constable, East Riding of Yorkshire, Englandcivil parish it joined in 1935
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

West Newton is a hamlet in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated approximately 9 miles (14 km) north-east of Hull city centre and 6 miles (9.7 km) south of Hornsea.

Between 1894 and 1935 West Newton was a hamlet in the civil parish of West Newton with Burton Constable in Skirlaugh Rural District. In 1935 the parish joined with Marton in Holderness civil parish to form Burton Constable parish in the newly formed Holderness Rural District. Historically, West Newton had been located in the ecclesiastical parishes of Aldbrough (near Hull) and Swine in the Holderness Wapentake.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at West Newton. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.