Place:Sutton Bingham, Somerset, England

NameSutton Bingham
Alt namesSutton-Binghamsource: hyphenated
TypeAncient parish, Civil parish
Coordinates50.897°N 2.639°W
Located inSomerset, England
See alsoHoundsborough Barwick and Coker Hundred, Somerset, Englandhundred in which it was located
Yeovil Rural, Somerset, Englandrural district 1894-1933
Closworth, Somerset, Englandparish into which it was absorbed in 1933

Sutton Bingham(#32 on map) was an ancient parish and a civil parish in southern Somerset, England until 1933 when it was absorbed into its eastern neighbouring parish of Closworth (#8) along with Pendomer (#25), the parish to the west.

The following description from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72 is provided by the website A Vision of Britain Through Time (University of Portsmouth Department of Geography).

"SUTTON-BINGHAM, a parish, with a [railway] station, in Yeovil [registration] district, Somerset; on the London, Yeovil, and Exeter railway, 3 miles SSW of Yeovil. Post town: Yeovil. Acres: 549. Real property: £750. Population: 67. Houses: 11. The manor belongs to W. H. Helyar, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value: £230. Patron: W. H. Helyar, Esq. The church is later English."

There is no article in Wikipedia.


Sutton Bingham was originally a parish in the Houndsborough Barwick and Coker Hundred, one of the hundreds or early subdivisions of the county of Somerset. From 1894 until 1933 it was part of the Yeovil Rural District.

In 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, all urban and rural districts across England were abolished and counties were reorganized into metropolitan and non-metropolitan districts. The expanded Closworth joined the non-metropolitan South Somerset District which covers the southeast corner of Somerset.

Image:Yeovil Rural 1900 small.png

Research Tips

  • GENUKI page on Sutton Bingham.
  • The Victoria History of the Counties of EnglandHistory of the County of Somerset, produced by The Institute of Historical Research at the University of London, does not provide any details on the parish and chapelries of Houndsborough Hundred.
  • The Somerset Heritage Centre (incorporating what was formerly the Somerset Record Office and the Somerset Local Studies Library) can be found at its new location at Langford Mead in Taunton. It has an online search facility leading to pages of interest, including maps from the First and Second Ordnance Survey (select "Maps and Postcards" from the list at the left, then enter the parish in the search box).
    The Heritage Centre has an email address:
  • Three maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrate the changes in political boundaries over the period 1830-1945. All have expanding scales and on the second and third this facility is sufficient that individual parishes can be inspected.
  • Somerset Hundreds as drawn in 1832. This map was prepared before The Great Reform Act of that year. Note the polling places and representation of the various parts of the county.
  • Somerset in 1900, an Ordnance Survey map showing rural districts, the boundaries of the larger towns, the smaller civil parishes of the time, and some hamlets and villages in each parish
  • Somerset in 1943, an Ordnance Survey map showing the rural districts after the changes to their structure in the 1930s