Place:Closworth, Somerset, England

TypeAncient parish, Civil parish
Coordinates50.892°N 2.619°W
Located inSomerset, England
See alsoHoundsborough Barwick and Coker Hundred, Somerset, Englandhundred in which it was located
Yeovil Rural, Somerset, Englandrural district 1894-1974
South Somerset District, Somerset, Englandnon-metropolitan district municipality covering the area since 1974
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Closworth (#8 on map) is a civil parish with a village of the same name in Somerset, England, 5 miles (8.0 km) south of Yeovil and on the border with Dorset. Since 1933 the parish has included the former civil parishes of Pendomer (#25) and Sutton Bingham (#32), and 376 acres of the neighbouring parish of East Coker (#10). The village had a population of 220 in the UK census of 2011.

In the Domesday Book of 1086 Closworth was the property of Robert, Count of Mortain. His son gave it to the newly formed priory at Montacute in 1102. After the Dissolution of the Monasteries (late 1530s) the estate was bought by the Portmans of Orchard Portman who retained it into the 20th century.

The Church of All Saints in Closworth village has 13th-century origins and is designated as a Grade II* listed building.


For nearly 200 years Closworth had a bell-foundry. Master bell-founders at Closworth included William Purdue I (active 1572-84), Thomas Purdue (active 1647-1691), Thomas Knight (active 1692-1714), William Knight (active 1709-47), William Elery (active 1732-57), Thomas Roskelly (active 1750-68), Richard Rock (active 1753-67) and James Smith (active 1762-67).

Image:Yeovil Rural 1900 small.png


Closworth was originally a parish in the Houndsborough Barwick and Coker Hundred, one of the hundreds or early subdivisions of the county of Somerset. From 1894 until 1974 it was part of the Yeovil Rural District.

In 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, all urban and rural districts across England were abolished and counties were reorganized into metropolitan and non-metropolitan districts. Closworth joined the non-metropolitan South Somerset District which covers the southeast corner of Somerset.

Research Tips

  • GENUKI page on Closworth.
  • The Victoria History of the Counties of EnglandHistory of the County of Somerset, produced by The Institute of Historical Research at the University of London, does not provide any details on the parish and chapelries of Houndsborough Hundred.
  • The Somerset Heritage Centre (incorporating what was formerly the Somerset Record Office and the Somerset Local Studies Library) can be found at its new location at Langford Mead in Taunton. It has an online search facility leading to pages of interest, including maps from the First and Second Ordnance Survey (select "Maps and Postcards" from the list at the left, then enter the parish in the search box).
    The Heritage Centre has an email address:
  • Three maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrate the changes in political boundaries over the period 1830-1945. All have expanding scales and on the second and third this facility is sufficient that individual parishes can be inspected.
  • Somerset Hundreds as drawn in 1832. This map was prepared before The Great Reform Act of that year. Note the polling places and representation of the various parts of the county.
  • Somerset in 1900, an Ordnance Survey map showing rural districts, the boundaries of the larger towns, the smaller civil parishes of the time, and some hamlets and villages in each parish
  • Somerset in 1943, an Ordnance Survey map showing the rural districts after the changes to their structure in the 1930s

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Closworth. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.