Place:St. Teath, Cornwall, England

NameSt. Teath
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates50.593°N 4.736°W
Located inCornwall, England
See alsoTrigg Hundred, Cornwall, Englandhundred in which it was located
Camelford Rural, Cornwall, Englandrural district of which it was a part 1894-1974
Camelford Registration District, Cornwall, Englandregistration district of which it was part 1837-1995
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

St. Teath (Cornish: Eglostedha) is a civil parish and village in north Cornwall, England. The village is situated approximately three miles (5 km) southwest of Camelford and seven miles (11 km) northeast of Wadebridge. The hamlet of Whitewell lies to the west.

The church is dedicated to Saint Tethe who was one of the twenty-four children of St Brychan, a 4th-century Welsh saint and king. The church was a Norman foundation but was rebuilt in the 15th century. It is large, with a nave and two aisles. The lower part of the tower is Norman.

St. Teath was part of the Camelford Rural District from 1894 until 1974.


the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Delabole (Cornish: Delyow Boll) is a large village in north Cornwall, England. It is situated approximately two miles (3 km) west of Camelford in the parish of St. Teath.

The village of Delabole came into existence in the early 20th century; it is named after the Delabole Quarry. Three hamlets: Pengelly, Meadrose (pronounced "médroze") and Rockhead, and the hamlet of Delabole south of the quarry are shown on the earliest one-inch Ordnance Survey map of 1813. When the railway arrived, the station was named Delabole after the quarry, and the three hamlets were absorbed into Delabole. It is said to be the third highest village in Cornwall.

The Delabole slate quarry is one of the largest of its type in England and has been operated continuously from the 15th century making it also the oldest working slate quarry in England. In the reign of Elizabeth I, the five quarries on the site of the now larger pit assumed considerable importance delivering slate to Brittany and the Netherlands. In 1841 the five quarries were combined to make the Old Delabole Slate Quarry. In 1910, 500 people were employed at the quarry but this has since been reduced to 80, the decline due to the availability of cheaper roofing materials e.g. Welsh slate or prefabricated tiles.

Research Tips

One of the many maps available on A Vision of Britain through Time is one from the Ordnance Survey Series of 1900 illustrating the parish boundaries of Cornwall at the turn of the 20th century. This map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets.

The following websites have pages explaining their provisions in WeRelate's Repository Section. Some provide free online databases.

  • GENUKI makes a great many suggestions as to other websites with worthwhile information about Cornwall as well as providing 19th century descriptions of each of the ecclesiastical parishes.
  • FamilySearch Wiki provides a similar information service to GENUKI which may be more up-to-date.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time has
  1. organization charts of the hierarchies of parishes within hundreds, registration districts and rural and urban districts of the 20th century
  2. excerpts from a gazetteer of circa 1870 outlining individual towns and parishes
  3. reviews of population through the time period 1800-1960
  • More local sources can often be found by referring to "What Links Here" in the column on the left.

{{wikipedia-notice|St Teath}