Place:South Ockendon, Essex, England

NameSouth Ockendon
Alt namesWochandunasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 104
Wochedunasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 104
Wochendunasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 104
Coordinates51.533°N 0.296°E
Located inEssex, England
See alsoChafford Hundred, Essex, Englandancient hundred in which it was located
Orsett Rural, Essex, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1921
Purfleet, Essex, Englandurban district of which West Thurrock was a part 1921-1936
Thurrock, Essex, Englandurban district in which it was located 1936-1974
Thurrock (district), Essex, Englanddistrict municipality/unitary authority in which it has been situated since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

South Ockendon was a settlement and Church of England parish in the Orsett Rural District from 1894 until 1921, the Purfleet urban district from 1921 until 1936, and the Thurrock Urban District from 1936 until 1974. Since 1974 it has been located in the Thurrock District in Essex (a unitary authority since 1998). Before 1894 it was a parish in the Chafford Hundred.


South Ockendon was a village before the Norman Conquest and had a priest in 1085. It is mentioned in the Domesday Book as Wocheduna, conjecturally named after a Saxon chief, Wocca, whose tribe lived on a hill. (The suffix "don" in Old English means a low hill in open country.) Until the late 1940s, the village centred on its "Village Green", with its Norman Church closely adjoining "The Royal Oak", a 14th-century tavern with a 17th-century northern extension. North, South and West Roads all converge on The Green.

The rail line was built in 1892 as a through line from Tilbury Docks to the Midlands and further north, via Upminster and Romford.

There was a Ford Motor Company factory at South Ockendon from the early 1970s until the end of the century.

Research Tips

  • The Thurrock Local History Society provides an Ordnance Survey map which illustrates the area of Essex covered by the Thurrock District.
  • Essex Record Office handles Essex archives within the county. The address is Wharf Road, Chelmsford, Essex CM2 6YT.
  • The Essex Society for Family History covers topics of genealogical interest throughout the present County of Essex (i.e. excluding the western area now in Greater London). Subscription necessary.
  • GENUKI provides a list of towns and parishes leading to pages for individual parishes with useful local information for genealogists and family historians.
  • Wikimedia Commons has a set of maps of the old hundreds of Essex. These do not show the individual parishes within the hundreds.
  • For very detailed investigation Wikimedia Commons also has a series of 176 part maps of the Ordnance Survey 1st series 1:10560, Map of Essex
  • FamilySearch lists its collections of church records and vital records along with those provided by other organizations, both commercial and voluntary.
  • The commercial website FindMyPast also has a collection of wills and newspaper transcriptions, as well as the "1939 Register" (an equivalent to the census gathered at the beginning of World War 2).
  • A Vision of Britain through Time is a website produced by the Department of Geography of the University of Portsmouth. It outlines all parishes as they were in the 19th century.
  • British History Online has transcribed eight volumes of the Victoria County History project for Essex. Seven of these cover the history of parts of the county in great detail, although the project is incomplete for Essex as a whole. Ownership of land through the centuries can often be traced here. The volumes of note are as follows:
Volume 4, Ongar Hundred, including Chipping and High Ongar, Chigwell, Stondon Massey and Theydon Bois (26 parishes in all).
Volume 5, Becontree Hundred outside Greater London. A thematic account of the growth of metropolitan Essex since 1850. Also contains topographical accounts of Barking, Ilford, Dagenham and other areas of Essex now within Greater London.
Volume 6, parishes of Becontree Hundred now within the London boroughs of Newham, Waltham Forest and Redbridge. These include West and East Ham, Walthamstow and Wanstead.
Volume 7, Covers the ancient parishes, formerly within the Liberty of Havering-atte-Bower and now within the London borough of Havering, and those in Chafford hundred in western Essex now bordering London. It includes accounts of Hornchurch, Romford, Havering.
Volume 8, accounts of the parishes of Chafford and Harlow Hundreds, including Brentwood, Harlow and Thurrock.
Volume 9, the Borough of Colchester, describes the life of the oldest and for long the largest town in Essex from the Iron Age to 1990.
Volume 10, Lexden Hundred (part), includes Dedham, Earls Colne and Wivenhoe and other parishes to the north and west of Colchester.
  • As of June 2019 Ancestry (Worldwide subscription required) includes Essex, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812, these early records are from parish registers of baptisms and burials during the years 1538–1812, and marriages during the years 1538-1754. These are in addition to their previous holdings:
  • Essex, England, Church of England Births and Baptisms, 1813-1918: 3,937,941 records
  • Essex, England, Church of England Marriages, 1754-1935: 1,968,439 records
  • Essex, England, Church of England Deaths and Burials, 1813-1994: 730,118 records

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at South Ockendon. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.