Place:South Cadbury, Somerset, England

NameSouth Cadbury
TypeAncient parish, Civil parish
Coordinates51.028°N 2.524°W
Located inSomerset, England
See alsoCatsash Hundred, Somerset, Englandhundred in which it was located
Wincanton Rural, Somerset, Englandrural district 1894-1974
South Somerset District, Somerset, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974

NOTE: The neighbouring parishes of North and South Cadbury are in Somerset, but the parish simply named Cadbury is in Devon, the county to the west.

the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

South Cadbury (#30 on map) is a civil parish and a village in Somerset, England, 7.5 miles (12 km) northeast of Yeovil. Since 1933 the parish has included the former civil parish of Sutton Montis (sometimes called Sutton Montague) (#34). According to the UK census of 2011, the parish had a population of 284.

It is famous as the location of the hill fort of Cadbury Castle, thought by some to be King Arthur's Camelot. The castle is immediately to the southwest of the village. It is a vast Iron Age hill fort covering an area of around 20 acres (8 ha).

In the Domesday Book of 1086 the manor is recorded as held by Turstin FitzRolf.

The South Cadbury parish church of St Thomas à Becket is dedicated to the Archbishop of Canterbury murdered in his cathedral in 1170. It largely dates from the 13th and 15th centuries, but was widely restored in 1874. However, it does boast a 15th-century roof, with angel brackets and carved bosses, and an early wall painting of St Thomas. The church is a Grade II* listed building.

Sutton Montis parish church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity. It has Saxon origins and includes surviving work of the 12th century. It is a Grade I listed building.

North Cadbury (#20), the neighbouring parish to the north, is much larger than South Cadbury, with an area of 2,600 acres as opposed to South Cadbury's 800.

Image:Wincanton Rural 1900 small.png


South Cadbury was originally a parish in the Catsash Hundred, one of the hundreds or early subdivisions of the county of Somerset. From 1894 until 1974 it was part of the Wincanton Rural District.

In 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, all urban and rural districts across England were abolished and counties were reorganized into metropolitan and non-metropolitan districts. South Cadbury joined the non-metropolitan South Somerset District.

Research tips

  • GENUKI page on South Cadbury
  • The Victoria History of the Counties of EnglandHistory of the County of Somerset, produced by The Institute of Historical Research at the University of London, does not currently (late 2021) provide any details on the parishes and chapelries of the southern half of Catsash Hundred.
  • The Somerset Heritage Centre (incorporating what was formerly the Somerset Record Office and the Somerset Local Studies Library) can be found at its new location at Langford Mead in Taunton. It has an online search facility leading to pages of interest, including maps from the First and Second Ordnance Survey (select "Maps and Postcards" from the list at the left, then enter the parish in the search box).
    The Heritage Centre has an email address:
  • Three maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrate the changes in political boundaries over the period 1830-1945. All have expanding scales and on the second and third this facility is sufficient that individual parishes can be inspected.
  • Somerset Hundreds as drawn in 1832. This map was prepared before The Great Reform Act of that year. Note the polling places and representation of the various parts of the county.
  • Somerset in 1900, an Ordnance Survey map showing rural districts, the boundaries of the larger towns, the smaller civil parishes of the time, and some hamlets and villages in each parish
  • Somerset in 1943, an Ordnance Survey map showing the rural districts after the changes to their structure in the 1930s
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at South Cadbury. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.