Place:Sacred Heart, Pottawatomie, Oklahoma, United States

Watchers


NameSacred Heart
TypeInhabited place
Coordinates35.0°N 96.8°W
Located inPottawatomie, Oklahoma, United States
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Sacred Heart is a small unincorporated community in Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma, United States. Established in 1879 by Father Isidore Robot as a Catholic mission on the old Pottawatomie reserve, it was originally named Sacred Heart Mission. The name was changed to Sacred Heart in 1888, shortly before the area was opened to settlement by non-Indians.

The community of Sacred Heart revolved around the Sacred Heart Mission. During the early 20th Century, many of its functions moved to other locations. High school and college education for boys moved in 1915 to Shawnee, to the facility that eventually became St. Gregory's University. The post office was closed in 1954. The mission site is located nine miles east of US 177 (Asher, Oklahoma) on SH 39, then one mile north on Sacred Heart Road. The community is now considered a ghost town.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Sacred Heart, Oklahoma. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.