Place:Plemstall, Cheshire, England

Watchers
NamePlemstall
Alt namesPlemonstallsource: A Vision of Britain through Time
TypeParish (ancient)
Coordinates53.225°N 2.815°W
Located inCheshire, England
See alsoBroxton Hundred, Cheshire, Englandhundred in which it was once part situated
Eddisbury Hundred, Cheshire, Englandhundred in which it was once part situated
Mickle Trafford, Cheshire, Englandcivil parish into which it was transferred in 1866
Cheshire West and Chester District, Cheshire, Englanddistrict municipality and unitary authority covering the area since 2009
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Plemstall has been, since 2009, an area in the civil parish of Mickle Trafford in the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester, and in the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. It lies northeast of the village of Mickle Trafford.

Prior to 1866 Plemstall was an ancient parish in the Broxton Hundred in southwest Cheshire. It included the townships of Plemstall, Bridge Trafford, Hoole, Mickle Trafford and Picton. All of the townships became civil parishes after 1866, but Plemstall became a part of Mickle Trafford.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Plemstall from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"PLEMONSTALL, or Plemstall, a parish in Great Boughton [registration] district, Cheshire; on the river Gowy, adjacent to the Cheshire and Manchester railway, 4 miles N E of Chester. It comprises the townships of Hoole, Mickle-Trafford, Bridge-Trafford, and Pickton; and its post town is Chester. Acres: 3, 134. Real property: £10, 885. Pop. in 1851: 877; in 1861: 2,019. Houses: 394. The increase of pop. was mainly in Hoole, and arose therefrom proximity to Chester [railway] station. The property is not much divided. A garrison for Charles I. was placed in Mickle-Trafford, during the siege of Chester. The living is a donative in the diocese of Chester. Value, £400. Patron, J. F. France, Esq. The church stands in Mickle-Trafford; and is of the 14th century, with a tower of 1826. A new church has been erected in Hoole.
"A section, which had a population of 1,340 in 1861, is included in the chapelry of Christchurch, Chester. There are, in that section, a national school and a lecture-hall and reading-room; and, in Mickle-Trafford, a parochial school.

Research Tips

  • The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
  • Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Plemstall. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.