Place:Norton sub Hamdon, Somerset, England

NameNorton sub Hamdon
Alt namesNorton-under-Hamdonsource: anglicization
Little Nortonsource: hamlet in parish
TypeAncient parish, Civil parish
Coordinates50.941°N 2.756°W
Located inSomerset, England
See alsoHoundsborough Barwick and Coker Hundred, Somerset, Englandhundred in which it was located
Yeovil Rural, Somerset, Englandrural district 1894-1974
South Somerset District, Somerset, Englandnon-metropolitan district municipality covering the area since 1974
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Norton sub Hamdon (#23 on map) is a civil parish with a village of the same name in Somerset, England. It is located five miles west of Yeovil. The village of Chiselborough (#7) is 0.5 miles (0.8 km) to the south, and the village of Stoke sub Hamdon (#31) 1 mile (1.6 km) to the north. At the UK census of 2011 the parish has a population of 743.

The majority of the houses and cottages in the village are made from the local stone, hamstone, which is taken from the nearby Ham Hill, from which the village gets its name:

After the Norman Conquest the manor was granted to Robert, Count of Mortain, who gave it to Grestein Abbey in Normandy, which administered it through Wilmington Priory inSussex until it was confiscated by the crown in the 14th century. It was then given to the De la Pole family and inherited with the dukedom of Suffolk by the Seymours and in 1671 by the Earl of Aylesbury, before being broken up and sold off.

Little Norton is a more or less contiguous hamlet to the east that includes the western fringe of Ham Hill an ancient hillfort (and scheduled Ancient Monument) and extends also to its southeast to High Wood and Bagnel Farm which is also a listed building.

The only other listed building in the neighbourhood is the central Little Norton Mill (Grade II listed); its overshot waterwheel is 13 feet 9 inches (4.19 m) in diameter and was cast by G. Parsons of the Parrett engineers.

Image:Yeovil Rural 1900 small.png


Norton sub Hamdon was originally a parish in the Houndsborough Barwick and Coker Hundred Hundred, one of the hundreds or early subdivisions of the county of Somerset. From 1894 until 1974 it was part of the Yeovil Rural District.

In 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, all urban and rural districts across England were abolished and counties were reorganized into metropolitan and non-metropolitan districts. Norton sub Hamdon joined the non-metropolitan South Somerset District which covers the southeast corner of Somerset.

Research tips

  • GENUKI page on Norton sub Hamdon.
  • The Victoria History of the Counties of EnglandHistory of the County of Somerset, produced by The Institute of Historical Research at the University of London, does not provide any details on the parish and chapelries of Houndsborough Hundred.
  • The Somerset Heritage Centre (incorporating what was formerly the Somerset Record Office and the Somerset Local Studies Library) can be found at its new location at Langford Mead in Taunton. It has an online search facility leading to pages of interest, including maps from the First and Second Ordnance Survey (select "Maps and Postcards" from the list at the left, then enter the parish in the search box).
    The Heritage Centre has an email address:
  • Three maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrate the changes in political boundaries over the period 1830-1945. All have expanding scales and on the second and third this facility is sufficient that individual parishes can be inspected.
  • Somerset Hundreds as drawn in 1832. This map was prepared before The Great Reform Act of that year. Note the polling places and representation of the various parts of the county.
  • Somerset in 1900, an Ordnance Survey map showing rural districts, the boundaries of the larger towns, the smaller civil parishes of the time, and some hamlets and villages in each parish
  • Somerset in 1943, an Ordnance Survey map showing the rural districts after the changes to their structure in the 1930s
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Norton sub Hamdon. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.