Place:Stoke sub Hamdon, Somerset, England

NameStoke sub Hamdon
Alt namesStoke-under-Hamdonsource: from redirect
Stoke-Sub-Hamdonsource: hyphenated
Stoke under Hamdonsource: anglicized
Stoke under Hamsource: another spelling
East Stokesource: village in parish
West Stokesource: hamlet in parish
Stoke Beauchampsource: ancient name for the parish
TypeAncient parish, Civil parish
Coordinates50.954°N 2.749°W
Located inSomerset, England
See alsoTintinhull Hundred, Somerset, Englandhundred in which it was located
Yeovil Rural, Somerset, Englandrural district 1894-1974
South Somerset District, Somerset, Englandnon-metropolitan district municipality covering the area since 1974
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Stoke sub Hamdon (#31 on map) (or Stoke-sub-Hamdon), also known as Stoke under Ham, is a civil parish with a large village of the same name in Somerset, England. It is situated 5 miles (8 km) west of Yeovil, with which it is linked by the A3088 road. The parish is located near the River Parrett, and includes the village of East Stoke and the hamlet of West Stoke. In the UK census of 2011 the population of the parish was 1,968.

In the 10th century the estate passed to Glastonbury Abbey, but after the Norman Conquest of 1066 it was held by Count of Mortain and granted to Robert FitzIvo. It then passed down through the Beauchamps of Hatch, becoming known as Stoke Beauchamp. It was acquired by the Duchy of Cornwall in 1443 and is still held by the Duchy.

The village is the site of the 14th century Stoke sub Hamdon Priory, a former priest's house of the chantry chapel of St Nicholas, which was destroyed after the dissolution of the monasteries in the late 1530s. The priory has been owned by the National Trust since 1946 and is designated by English Heritage as a grade I listed building.

Image:Yeovil Rural 1900 small.png


Stoke sub Hamdon was originally a parish in the Tintinhull Hundred, one of the hundreds or early subdivisions of the county of Somerset. From 1894 until 1974 it was part of the Yeovil Rural District.

In 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, all urban and rural districts across England were abolished and counties were reorganized into metropolitan and non-metropolitan districts. Stoke sub Hamdon joined the non-metropolitan South Somerset District which covers the southeast corner of Somerset.

Research tips

  • GENUKI page on Stoke sub Hamdon.
  • An article on Stoke sub Hamdon from the Victoria History of the Counties of England – History of the County of Somerset, produced by The Institute of Historical Research.
  • The Somerset Heritage Centre (incorporating what was formerly the Somerset Record Office and the Somerset Local Studies Library) can be found at its new location at Langford Mead in Taunton. It has an online search facility leading to pages of interest, including maps from the First and Second Ordnance Survey (select "Maps and Postcards" from the list at the left, then enter the parish in the search box).
    The Heritage Centre has an email address:
  • Three maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrate the changes in political boundaries over the period 1830-1945. All have expanding scales and on the second and third this facility is sufficient that individual parishes can be inspected.
  • Somerset Hundreds as drawn in 1832. This map was prepared before The Great Reform Act of that year. Note the polling places and representation of the various parts of the county.
  • Somerset in 1900, an Ordnance Survey map showing rural districts, the boundaries of the larger towns, the smaller civil parishes of the time, and some hamlets and villages in each parish
  • Somerset in 1943, an Ordnance Survey map showing the rural districts after the changes to their structure in the 1930s
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Stoke sub Hamdon. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.