Place:Margaret Roding, Essex, England

NameMargaret Roding
Alt namesRodingessource: Domesday Book (1985) p 104
Rodingissource: Domesday Book (1985) p 104
Roichingessource: Domesday Book (1985) p 104
Roingessource: Domesday Book (1985) p 104
Margaret-Roothingsource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeInhabited place
Coordinates51.783°N 0.317°E
Located inEssex, England
See alsoDunmow Rural, Essex, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1974
Uttlesford (district), Essex, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Margaret Roding from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"ROOTHING-MARGARET, a parish in Dunmow [registration] district, Essex; on the river Roding, 7 miles N N E of Ongar [railway] station. It contains the hamlet of Marks; and its post town is Roothing-Leaden, under Chelmsford. Acres: 1,222. Real property: £1,353. Population: 236. Houses: 56. The property is divided among a few. Paddocks Hall is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value: £223.* Patron: J. Bentley, Esq. The church is good, and has a Norman door. There is an endowed school, with £16 a year."
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

High Roding is one of The Rodings (or Roothings) - a group of villages in Essex, England, the largest group in the country to bear a common name. They are believed to be the remnants of a single Anglo-Saxon community known as the Hroðingas, led by Hroða, who sailed up the River Thames and along a tributary in the sixth century and settled in the area. This was one of the sub-kingdoms that were absorbed into the Kingdom of Essex. The River Roding and the villages derived their name from Hroda. The typical pronunciation of the name is "Roadings". The Rodings formed a single land unit that was investigated by Stephen Basset.

The villages are recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Rodinges in the Hundred of Dunmow. In the time of Edward the Confessor, it was held by the Abbey of St Æthelthryth of Ely; however, after the Norman Conquest, part was taken by William de Warenne. Part was also held by the de Veres and de Mandevilles families, who became the Earls of Oxford and Earls of Essex. By the 14th century, the boundaries and names of the villages had become fairly established.

The parish was part of the Dunmow Rural District from 1894 until 1974. Since 1974 it has been located in the Uttlesford District of Essex.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at The Rodings. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.